14

"Shhhhhhh," the voice says quietly into my ear. "Silence."

Voice was so familiar but so foreign. It was strained, different than the last time I heard it. It had a certain scratchiness to it but was deep and hollow, like the sound your heartbeat makes. My insides churned as I felt person's breath on the back of my neck.

His hand came up from over my mouth and I turned around immediately being reunited with the face that I once loved with all my heart. I had forgotten how he looked. I had lost the image of him in my head.

But the thing was: he had changed. He wasn't the boy I vaguely remembered but he was a man now. His eyes were red and his face was extremely pale. Only a few freckled covered the bridge of his nose covered in scars and scabs,  his hair were stuck in peaks higher than Mount. Everest.

"Everest?!" I whisper scream. He puts a finger over my mouth. "Is that really you?"

"Yes, little sister, it is."

"But- what- when did ... how?" I stutter.

"Not very proud of me, huh? I wouldn't blame you."

"What are you talking about?"

He aggressively grabbed ahold of my shoulders and shook me, screaming quietly into my face, "Look at me, Pumpkin, look! I'm a mess."

Pumpkin... I've forgotten about that. How Everest always used to call me pumpkin. It almost sounds artificial.

"I'm not safe for you, anymore. I'm not safe for anyone anymore. That's why I haven't been back here lately- they're after me, Everly!" He looks everywhere and anywhere but my eyes.

"What? Who's after you?" I ask.

"The cops. Im a criminal, kid."

"A-a- a what?"

"I sell drugs, Everly. I was failing outta school and couldn't pay for anything! S-some guys came to my dorm one day and offered me a-a job. Drug dealing. I kept it on the low for a while but then, I couldn't help myself and I- I started..." Everest drifted off. "I need to stop. University expelled me. They kicked me out! I didn't want to come back here because I'm dangerous." He let go of my as soon as he said 'dangerous'. "I need help."

"Evie-"

"Listen to me, pumpkin, listen. I need twenty-five grand."

"What?!"

"Shhhh- that's it. Twenty five grand. Mom and dad would be so disappointed if I asked them. You've gotta understand the position I'm in, kid." Everest seems so, rushed and panicked.

"This seems wrong. I can't ask Mom and dad for twenty five grand-"

"I never said it had to come from them."

I stare into his eyes. I want to help him, I really do.

This is why he's been gone so long. Two years have gone by and this is what he comes back as. A high drug dealer who's probably wanted by the police for stealing drugs and shit. My brother- Everest- who had everything going for him. He could've been a professional boxer and made money doing what he enjoyed but instead, he turned into... this.

Suddenly, I heard Ryland from down stairs.

"Blondie! Is everything okay up there?"

"Who's that?" Everest questions.

"Just a friend- I'll try to get the money, I can't make any promises, though."

Everest lets go of my shoulders and heads for the window on the other side of room. He opens it and jumps out. My eyes widen in shock before running over to it but see him sliding down a rope.