23

|| Everly's POV ||

After we successfully escaped from that evil place, Aries and I went back to his house. He told me his parents were on a business trip for the week to make me feel more comfortable about going over, but I wouldn't have really cared, otherwise. I needed the comfort, even though it wasn't me who should be needing the comforting. I really didn't want to think about the horror that Everest had put us through. Or at least I think he had something to do with it because if he didn't, he wouldn't have helped me.

"Ryland?" I whispered the next morning. He lay there upon his bed with his back facing me. I wanted to see if he was still sleeping or if he was pretending.

After a few seconds of impatient waiting, his raspy morning voice echoes in the room. "Good morning, Blondie."

A smile slowly arises on the surface of my complexion. I bite my lip at the sudden embarrassment. Aries turns his face in my direction, his blue eyes scanned my body, sitting with my legs criss-crossed in his recliner chair I told him I'd sleep in last night.

"You didn't have to sleep there, ya know." He informed me followed by a yawn.

I realized I'd never seen him be so... humanly. His yawn was like a little kitten or a new-born baby. It was so adorable. My smiled enlarged as he exchanged one. A quick one. Before I knew it, his lips were straight again. I craved his ounce of pureness, and I wanted him to smile again.

"Where would I sleep then?"

"In my bed, in my arms." Something in my stomach made me feel uneasy. "I'd keep you warm, don't worry." He smirks.

No doubt, I liked Aries a lot, but I'd never slept in a boy's bed before. Especially while the boy was in it.

"You yawn like a new-born baby kitten." I teased, changing the subject, letting myself giggle at my little joke.

"Shut up!" He joked, jumping out of his bed playfully. "I'm a tough man! Don't make me seem weak, Ev."

"Not weak- adorable is more fitting."

"Mhm, sure. I'm a man of steel, hard as a rock." Ryland walked over towards me, flexing his muscles. "I'm not adorable."

"You're a dork, that's for sure."

"A strong, handsome, not-adorable, dork." He walked towards his bedroom door, opening it and looking at me. "Come." He ordered.

Aries exited his room and down the stairs to the kitchen. I followed him until he completely stopped at the fridge, opening the door and scanning for something to eat.

"Want anything?" He asked.

"No, thanks, I think I'm good."

"Are you sure?" He turns to look at me. "You don't wanna fuel up on your big day?"

For a second, I had no idea what he was talking about but then it hit me. How could I forget? How could I forget today? I've been looking forward to this day all week. I guess I've been pretty occupied, lately.

"Wow, you forgot your own birthday?" Ryland teased. "You really are a true blondie."

"Shut up, mister, I've been pretty distracted, lately."

I glance at the clock above his kitchen sink and saw the little hand was on the 7 and the big hand was pointing at the 3. It was 7:15 am.

"Shit, Ryland! We're late for school." I shout. "I've gotta run home, shower real quick, throw on some decently smelling clothes-" I list all of the things I need to do before I'm interrupted.