28

||Ryland's POV||

Her "parents" walked out of the clear door as did the doctor, beside them.

"I'm sorry for the news, Mrs. Monroe. All we can do, now, is have hope." The doctor comforted the woman as she wept.

The man rubbed her back, comforting her as well. "Yes, thank you, doc." He sighed lowly.

They came and took a seat a few chairs down from me. My brain argued with my mouth on if I should say something. Then, my heart finally spoke up and pushed me to talk to them.

"Um, Mr. and Mrs. Monroe?" I spoke lowly, hesitant before speaking again.

They looked over at me, the pressure rising.

"I-I'm Everly's friend. I actually am your guys' neighbor and- I was just wondering what happened to her."

The woman sniffled before she looked at me. Her eyes were red from crying and her body shook from fear and nervousness.

"Everly- she, uh- she is-." Tears ran down her face like rivers as her body trembled.

"She's in a temporary coma, son." The man spoke up seeming a bit irritable.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to punch someone. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Everly was in a coma because of me. This is all my fault.

I wish I would've grabbed her face when I wanted to. I wish I would've kissed her when I had the chance.

"I suggest you go home, now, boy." The man stared at me one last time before comforting the woman again.

"Uh, alright. But, if you would, please tell Everly that Ryland is sorry."

I got up from the chair and left without another word.

~

I had been weeks and I hadn't left my house. There was no news on Everly. I hadn't gone to school, I hadn't done anything.

I wanted to die. This was the worst feeling in the world.

My stomach churned, I felt like I was going to vomit. Which, in fact, I had done many times since Everly had been in her coma. My nerves were terrible and my anxiety wouldn't leave me alone.

My parents came home from their business trip last week but I hadn't talked to them. I didn't want to, either. They would make nothing better.

I wanted to see Everly's beautiful face and adore her amazing smile. I missed the way her ocean eyes sparkled within her black hipster glasses.

I wanted to touch her and feel her body, again. I wanted to grab her and never let her go.

This made me realize how I really felt about this girl and how much this really meant to me. It wasn't just some stupid high school relationship, this was real.

She was everything I could ever want in a girl. Sweet, beautiful, smart (sort of), caring- she had it all. She was more than what this low life loser deserved.

Everly deserved a happy life with no worries or struggle but I put her through the exact opposite of that.

I wish I could be everything to her like she is to me. And now that i'm at the midst of losing her, even though the coma is said to be temporary, I never realized what I had until it was slipping away from me.

I knew I liked Everly a lot but I never knew what feelings I had stored away in my soul. I didn't even know my body could posses so many feelings all at once about a single person. Everly makes me a good person and, yet, I still put her through hell.

I don't want to lose her like I lost Avis. I won't go through that shit again.

I punched the punching bag that hung from my garage ceiling. I let all of my anger out on it. My fists rapidly made contact with the red punching bag, and I planned on hitting it until my arms couldn't take it anymore.

I hadn't worried about wrapping my hands, either, nor putting on any sort of gloves. I wanted to feel the pain leave my body directly.

Veins in my biceps were bulging as I rammed my balled fists into the bag faster and faster, increasing my strength as I had begun to get more angry at the punching bag.

On my last punch, I used all of my might and sent my right fist faster than a race car into that punching bag. I extended my arms all the way through the bag that the chain had broken and the punching bag went flying down my driveway, through my open garage.

As the bag rolled down the driveway, Ezra walked up it. His eyes followed the bag as he walked closer and closer towards me.

My hand reached into the pockets of my joggers and took out a brand new pack of cigarettes. I opened the top and fumbled one of the sticks out, then sticking it in between my lips.

"If that girl wakes up and sees you smoking again, she's gunna leave your ass." Ezra informed me of something I already knew.

"As long as she wakes up, I'll be alright."

"No you won't, you pvssy." Ezra sat down on my garage floor. "She's not even dead and you're already acting all depressed."

"It's all our faults, Ez."

"Nuh-uh, it's not my fault. If they ask, I never knew the girl or you."

"Her name is Everly." I spoke before taking out a lighter out of my other pocket.

I was hesitant to lighting my first cigarette since I had stopped but I wanted this stress to go away. I wanted to quit worrying about Everly so much. I don't even know why I cared about her so much, I've never cared about someone so much before. It's sickening, now that I think about it.

I've become soft. She's made me a somewhat caring person.

"You're weak, Ryland." Ezra admitted.

"How?" I retorted. "I just punched a punching bag halfway down my driveway."

"You might be physically stronger but you've let your emotions take over." He said. "Remember when we quit smoking together and we made a vow we would never do it again no matter what?"

I nodded. How could I forget?

"No matter all the shit that's happened, I haven't done it. And now that this girl is only in a temporary coma, you're doing it again."

"It's been weeks, Ez." I inhaled through the stick deeply.

"She's breathing again and all of her stats say she's stable but she's still sleeping." Ezra sighed.

"How do you know?"

"I went into the hospital and said I was her brother." I shot my head his way and he shrugged. "I guess it worked. I asked the doctor how she was doing and that's what she said."

"O-oh my- oh my lord, Ezra, this is great!"

I sat beside him finally and threw my cigarette on the ground.

I want her to wake up. She needs to wake up.
_______________________________

yo what's up!!

yay another update!!

anywho thanks for reading and pls comment, vote and follow me for more!

buh-byeeeeeeeee!!!!!

-BlackMidnights