24

|| Everly's POV ||

I got to sleep in my own bed, inside of my own house, underneath my own sheets, under my own roof, for the first in what seems like an eternity but really was only a few days.

Ryland was picking me up for school this morning, and I didn't decline his offer. It was a major step up from walking to school everyday.

I got out of my -extremely comfortable- bed and took a quick shower. I brushed my teeth and blow dried my hair, then stepping out of the bathroom and back into my bedroom to pick out an outfit.

I went with leggings and a simple oversized sweatshirt. I love sweatshirts, I basically lived in sweatshirts more than I did my own house.

After getting ready, I went downstairs and ate a bowl of cereal.

My house was quiet and lonely, a lifestyle I had began to grow unfamiliar with since I met Aries. He's kept me company and I guess i've kept him company, too.

Yesterday, we just sat in that room in the old, run down building and watched the city all day. I could look over the town for hours and hours on end for days and days.

The phone call still remained a mystery to me. Ryland mentioned someone coming back or whatever. Who is it? What does he have to do with Ryland and Ezra?

I hope it's not dangerous.

Just as I finished my cereal, I heard a car horn honk in front of my house a few times rapidly. I quickly toss my bowl into the sink and rushed out of the door.

A smile grows upon my lips when I see Ryland's black sports car. He rolled the window down and motioned his head for me to hurry.

"C'mon, Blondie, i've got to get to school."

My smile turns into a smirk. "Ooh, never seen the bad boy so eager to get to school."

Aries smiles, "Get your pretty ass in my car."

I pull the handle and open the car door, sliding into the passenger's seat like no guy ever had to my DM's.

Oh, I just roasted on myself... okay.

The ride to school was short and silent. I looked over at Aries frequently, his jaw clenched and his jawline defined. I found this expression on his face quite often now. I think it's because he's stressed. I have no idea, though, I'm no psychic, and I bet they couldn't read his mind, either.

"Are you okay?" I ask Ryland, stepping out of his car and scurrying to his side.

He walks into school with broad, strong shoulders. He looks tough. Just like he said the other day, he's a tough man and nothing could make him seem weak. He is strong- so strong- mentally and physically. He brushes his hair, his fingers slowly gliding through the strands.

I can tell he's nervous, or something like that. When he's nervous, he runs his fingers through his dark, dark brown hair.

"Everything's fine, don't worry about it." Ryland says lowly.

I have to take long, quick strides to keep beside him, as he walks at a regular pace, his legs almost a whole foot longer than mine. His eyes don't move, instead, he just stares directly in front of us as he walks through all of the students in the hallways.

Obviously, they moved out of the way for Ryland. He basically ruled the school. I've forgotten about the reality of high school and where I stand ever since I've met Aries, but the looks these students clearly shoot directly to me don't hesitate to remind me.

I was that stupid blonde nobody knew. I wasn't even one of those stereotypical nerds that would actually get themselves a diploma from Harvard if they never met the bad boy or whatever half those books you read are about.

People's glances were confused. They know where I stand in this school and that place isn't alongside Ryland Aries in the hallways. I am basically ruining Aries' high school reputation every second I remain walking by his side, but Aries seems to be more focused on something else than his high school reputation.

Ryland yields as he approaches Ezra's locker. Ezra Ferrickson rapidly digs through his locker looking in search for something.

"Ezra-" Ryland begins.

"Ryland- he's coming. He's coming now. We have no time. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time here!"

"Relax, Ez. It's going to be-"

"No!" Ezra's suddenly risen voice echoes through the now silent high school hallways. "Don't pull that 'everything is going to be perfectly okay' card on me because you know damn well this shit will not be okay!"

"You're making a scene, Ez. You're acting foolish-" Ryland remains calm even though Ezra is about to explode and let it out like a hurricane.

"You think I give a shit if I'm acting foolish, Ry? You seriously think that right now, at this moment, that I should give any shit's about being foolish?"

"Listen, you idiot! This is your problem not mine, alright? So, I could let your sorry ass fix all the shit you got yourself into or I could help you and you calm the hell down, Ezra. The choice is yours! I dunno about you, but one of those options seem pretty obvious to me!"

Ezra's face becomes extremely red and his jaw becomes more defined as he clenches his teeth in frustration. He looks around the hall at the crowd that circles around us and walks straight out of the school. Ryland exasperatedly groans as Ezra speeds out of school and then turns to me.

"Listen," He whispers, his face so close to mine. "I don't want you having anything to do with this, you hear me? I won't let you get hurt."

It's like he exactly knew my next action because I was about to tell him I wanted to come with them.

"Get hurt?" I tremble.

"If I see you anywhere near I or Ezra in the next week, I won't even know how I'm going to deal with it, alright?" I nod. "So I suggest you keep away and I'll see you soon."

Ryland looks up and down my face before letting out the ton of air he had stored in his lungs before running out the same door Ezra had just a moment ago.

"See you soon." I whisper to myself.

Little did Ryland and Ezra know, I may be dumb, but I don't follow the rules and I disobey everyone.
____________________________

hello readers !

somehow this authors note part got deleted so im rewriting it

the next few chapters are gunna be super exciting ( hopefully ) and i just reread this chapter and ik it's super comfusing like just the way i wrote it was terrible so sorry for that ;(

but, with summer break coming to an end in abt a month , i'm hoping to get in at least 2-3 chapters !

please let me know how y'all r liking this book ! i haven't asked for feedback in a while lol

and if u haven't yet, go read the two prologues of my story "Hiding the Criminal" that's coming soon!

thanks for reading ! enjoy the rest of your day!

buh-byeeeeeeee !!!

-BlackMidnights