22

|| Ryland's POV ||

"Ryland, C'mon! Please get up, please!" I hear a scream slowly get louder as my eyes open.

I look around the dim room, confused at first in where I am but, taking in the setting, I remember everything.

Her beautiful face fades into my vision. I put my hand up to her cheek, grabbing her golden locks of hair, just remembering how she felt.

"A-are you real?" I murmur.

She sniffs before letting a tear fall from her blue eyes.

"Yes, yes, Aries, I'm real. I'm right here but we- we have to go." She rushes her words.

Every takes my arm and yanks me up, my body sore and hurting.

"Avis!" I remember. "Avis- where's Avis?" I shout, looking around at the stone walls and metal bars.

This isn't a burning house or Avis' and I's picnic area. It was just a dream. A sick dream. A terrible memory.

"Ryland, we don't have time! We have to go!" She tugs me out of the cell as I notice a familiar face.

Him. The guy that came to see me the first night I was here. He said he was sorry. Who the fuck is he. His eyes are still bloodshot and his hair looks like he just got attacked by a bear.

I stop stubbornly and snatch my hand away from Blondie before walking up to the kid with a straight posture. I grab his shirt and push him against the stone was as hard as I could.

"You!" I screamed. "It was you, wasn't it?"

"What the hell are you talking about, kid?" The guy's nose twitches in anger.

"Ryland, stop!" Everly pleads.

"Why?!" I screech before looking her dead in the eyes.

"Babe, listen, I know you're scared! Just trust me!"

What she said reminded me of Avis. Of the fire.

"Avis!" I screamed. "Avis, help!" The flames ran across the floor.

"I know you're scared, buddy!" I remember hearing her voice. "Just trust me! Mommy and papa are coming!"

I hear her voice in my head, the memory replays in the back of my mind.

I let go of the guy and walk towards Everly, taking ahold of her hand. When I was with her, when I was touching her, I felt safe.

Safety is what I need right now.

"Everest, how do we get out of here?" Everly looks back at the guy. He walks past me, shooting me an evil glare before leading the way of Everly and I.

"C'mon." He motions us.

Everest -or I assume is his name- stays on high alert as he leads us a little ways down this dim hallway.

We walk for about a minute or two before Everest points up a stone stairway and motions for Everly and I to go up.

I walk up the stairs at fast as I can which isn't so fast. My muscles ache with every step I take to freedom. I want to be free and with my girl again, but without a struggle. I just want peace and happiness at no cost for once. No pain.

"C'mon, Aries, be strong! We're almost there!" Everly says.

In this time of terror, her words had put at ease for a second before gunshots were fired. The bullet sound echoes along with a squeal from Everly.

I look at her and brush through her hair with my fingers. She breathes hard sounding as though she has asthma. She wheezes as tears begin to fall from her face.

"Shhhh, Shhh, listen to me, Everly." I wipe a tear off of her cheek. "You can't panic right now. I need you, okay? We need to work together to get out of here. C'mon, please!" I calm.

I lead her up the rest of the way up the stairs. A light begins to shine and it's not just any light. It's sunlight.

I open the last set of doors to freedom.

The minute we stepped out of that terrible place, I realized that I have changed. Never in my life has someone had to tell me to be strong. And if they did, did I ever not punch them dead in the face.

This time, I needed it at a certain time, from a certain person, at the certain place and Everly knew exactly what to do. She boosted me when I needed it and I did just the same.

The little things about her saved me once more and all I've ever done was get in the way. I've been a real pain in the ass lately and that's why Everly left. That's why I'm here now because I tried to do anything I could to beg for forgiveness and ended up being kidnapped by a bunch of random weird guys who smell like rats and moldy bread.

That reminds me, I'm fucking starving.
____________________________

ya, ya, ya, ight i got it. yep, another month wait. i hate myself. :)

anywho, ya okay ik it's a short and shitty chapter but i'm rlly trying here guys. pls hang in there and bare with me. i'm still going thru shit and struggling with tryna keep my life together.

i'm on summer break but i have a reading assignment plus i'm taking a virtual class plus i have hella softball things and depression and anxiety on top of it.

ik it's not an excuse and i'm definitely not the person to try and make y'all jealous to forgive me. no, no, no.

i'm rlly going to try and write on all my free time and try to make updates a lot faster and better !

thanks for all my support i get on this book and just in my writing in general. i love y'all so much!

and a few days ago was my 1 yr anniversary on this wattpad account ! yay.

anyways, thank you for reading! i love you all so much. pls vote, comment and follow me for more :)

Buh-byeeeeeeeeee!

-BlackMidnights