6

I check the hallway as I slip into Bruno's room. I can just make out his silhouette sitting at his desk, chair tipped backwards headphones over his head. He rocks silently to the beat coming from the headphones. I pull my hood off and take the hair tie out. I walk to him. He takes off the headphones setting them on the desk as he gives a small smile.

"How are you?" He takes the notebook out of the drawer and writes.  

My throat isn't as sore anymore and I can walk without the crutches.  

He shows me his knuckles and then continues to write.  

They doesn't hurt anymore either.  

"That's really good," I reply. "Good news is They're going to let you out in the morning. Just remember what I told you about other people."  

What about what you promised to tell me, what is this place? What did they do to me?  

He didn't forget. I swallow slowly and try to find the right words to say. Staring straight across the room at the moonlight streaking the pale wall; I start. "Everyone here was kidnapped and stripped of their talents." His forehead wrinkles as he slowly writes in the notebook.  

Stripped of their talents?   

He watches me, his movement becoming slow. "Severely injured. As to they can no longer perform their talent." I shift in the moon's light. Resting my palm squarely on the wide window sill I lift my right foot. The purple-ish blue marks show starting at my ankle heading downwards to my heel. I shift positions and show him the other one, setting my feet back on the ground gently.   

You're a dancer.  

He writes. I nod. "Yeah," I say as I shift uncomfortably, trying to find my center of balance. " Well, you have everything I gave you and just remember what I told you." I pick up my backpack and head for the  door. "See you, Bruno."  

He coughs. I can hear the raw rasp in his throat. "Bye Elinea."