A Dreadful Escape

Ray's POV

I couldn't concentrate at all. The teacher's words just went in one ear and out the other. Gerard is normally in this class. My class. With me. So basically I'm all alone. The emptiness of the classroom eats me alive as I'm forced to do stupid work that I've missed up on. It wasn't my fault. Honestly.

"Raymond!"

My head jerked upwards as I snap out of it, eyes roaming until I catch the hard gaze my teacher was sending me. I sink back in my seat, swallowing thickly.

"Yeah?"

"Don't 'yeah' me, Mister! This is the fourth time I've had to keep you awake this lesson! If you truly do not want to be here, get out," Mrs Hudson scowled, putting one hand on her hip and driectly pointing at the door with her other one.

Snickers and giggles filled my ears as I bite my lip, taking in that offer. So I do. I know that sounds absolutely awful, but I placed my book in my bag, slung said bag around my shoulder and headed out the door, slamming it behind me. I know you may consider that childish behaviour, but what's the point in attending lessons if I can't even concentrate enough to listen?

I suddenly feel very sick as I wander around the school building. My thoughts kept racing back to Gerard, wondering if he's alright. Then they travelled to Frank, and I know he isn't alright. Finally my mind went back to Mikey, and tried to think if he's back or not. In some sense, he is, because he talked about Gerard softly and kindly, like he finally remembered who he was.

I clench my fists, licking my lips absently as I can just picture Gee wasting away in a prison cell. I grow too angry, and slam my fist in the wall. I ignored the throbbing pain, heading outside the school and out the gate.

I needed an escape, if it was only for a few minutes. I heard what Bob said, his words ringing in my ears, 'All the drama will go away'. Tears welled up in my eyes and I glanced up at the sky, damning a God if there ever was one.

I run a safe distance away from the building before reaching in my pocket and pulling a cigarette out the box, lighting it up and taking a big puff.