♕ | forest

A thick fog had come to roll along the dreary, damp streets, still wet from the morning's rain. The library was, as always, empty, save the few high school kids that seemed to be working on some sort of project. I don't tend to pay them any mind, unless they're noisy.

     I won't hesitate to 'shush' a bitch if I see fit, but Ricky tends to be much ore lenient with them, always with the excuse that we were in their places once, and we should try and remember how we had been feeling. I do suppose he's right, but then again, it could just be me acting like a bitch to high school kids.

     I thumbed through the book in my hands, glancing up at Ricky when I heard the sound of books toppling off of a shelf. Ricky was a klutz, so it was no surprise he had dropped a couple of books. Nothing serious; I'm only ever concerned that he doesn't hurt himself.

     Setting the book I held in my hands face down on the desk behind me, I weaved through the tables and chairs to Ricky. "Are you alright?" I asked him, leaning down and grabbing a few of the fallen books, stacking them, and helping him up. He nodded, rubbing the side of his head. He grinned a bit lopsided at me and said, "Yeah, I'm alright."

     Rather than giving him the chance to drop things again, I helped him place the books back on the shelf. "Any plans after work?" I inquired. He waved a hand. "Nah.. Gonna spend some quality time with Dexter, I think," He told me. "I don't think he's happy I've been working so much. It's gonna be like date night, except it's just me.. and my cat." He rambled on.

     I just grinned. "Have fun with that, then. I'm sure he'll appreciate the company." I mused. Ricky almost snorted. "What about you? Anything special?" He asked, nudging my playfully and grabbing his glasses off of the table.

     I heaved a heavy sigh. "Unfortunately, no. I'm going to take a long walk in the woods, I think.. A bit of rainy day exploration, I suppose.." I said. He smirked. "You know," He began, "Joggers always find the dead bodies. Just because you're walking doesn't mean you can avoid the inevitable findings of corpses in the solitude of the woods, Chris," He said rather dramatically, waving his hands in a theatrical fashion. 

     "Yeah, right. I just wanna see if anything's out there. My grandma seemed pretty convinced, so." I shrugged. Ricky cocked an eyebrow. "What'd she say she thought it was?" He asked, "Got any flesh eating monsters on your hands?" 

     Laughing was inevitable. I ran a hand through my hair, making a mental note to get it cut at some point. It was getting just a tad too long for my liking, I suppose. "No, no," I paused. "She says she thinks its a kitsune. You know, like.. a fox spirit. Cool, huh?" I said. 

     Ricky's eyes went wide at that, and he beamed. "If you make friends with it, can I meet it?" He asked. I swear, all animals are cats to him. Rabbit? Cat. Dog? Cat. Fox? Cat. Every animal is a cat. So, I agreed, nodding my head. "Yeah, sure. Don't get your hopes up, though." I said.

     Odd, isn't it? The way that he and I can have such a casual conversation about a creature that's existence is debatable to anyone outside of Scranton, I mean. It seems like we have an even balance of those who do and don't believe in the different types of creatures documented in the journals of elders. 

     I'm on the fence. I'd never say something doesn't exist, but unless I have proof, it's just a tad bit hard to tell. I guess it doesn't matter, though. Look at religious people; they can spend their days wasting away believing in their Gods, but then turn around and say that there's not a chance aliens or life outside of Earth could exist.

     But how could anyone- religious or not,- be so.. stupid.. so ignorant as to say a thing like that? Seven billion people in the world. Seven. Billion. People. And some of them are dumb enough to say that extra terrestrials can't exist? I think I lose brain cells any time someone argues about it.

     Regardless, I'd love to see what's out there. All the things I haven't seen.. The things my family has seen. I want to be a part of that world. The sheer idea of it amazes me. Who wouldn't like to see what strange things are out there?

     I want to see it all. But with good comes bad; my only question is, am I really ready to see all of that? I suppose only time will tell.