♕ || how we're wired

A/N: terribly sorry for the slow updates :b i had some work to finish up, projects etc. school exists, i've got to maintain a good average, yadda yadda blah blah blaaaah. you know how it is..
——

     "Mags," I said, hesitant. Ryan seems to have gotten the base for the portal, having shifted into a human again. He was standing behind me, now. "That's not-.." I trailed off.

Ryan spoke up, softly, "Silver.. Silver kills shifters," he told me. I pursed my lips. I had a pocket knife, but it wasn't silver. Useless, I guess.

I took a step forward, not really sure of just what I was doing. Mags had opened his eyes again, sparks at his fingertips. He looked exhausted, upset.. Heartbroken, more than anything. Don't kill it, he said, without really saying it. I could hear his voice in my head, somehow.

I'm not going to lie, I'm surprised. He seemed so lost in a daze of thinking he was face to face with the guy that broke his heart, I had wondered if he even remembered that the creature in front of him was only a shapeshifter. I can look at it's memories.

     But what else could I do?

     My hand was moving before I had time to process my own actions. I didn't know what I was doing, but at this point, I've just accepted the fact that strange things are going to happen. So if my subconscious is trying to get me to do something, I'll go with it.

     The shapeshifter went flying backward, pinned up against a tree. I jerked my hand backward, nearly flinching. Mags looked surprised, to say the least. The shifter changed again, and Mags seemed to relax.

     I think I liked it better when it was looking like Mags's ex, but only because it got a hell of a lot creepier. If you can picture a rag doll with a stitched on mouth and a blank face, well, it was sort of like that.

     It resembled a mannequin, blank of everything but white eyes and an ear-to-ear grin. Its fingers went to sharp points; they didn't round off like a normal human person's would have.

     Mags looked away for a moment, and I saw him close his eyes briefly. He looked almost uncomfortable. Then again, I didn't blame him. I glanced at poor Ryan, who was looking ready to vomit.

     With a snap of his fingers, the air in front of Mags tore open, causing the leaves to whip up and flutter around. The noise was unlike anything I've heard before. "The portal base isn't safe here. Ryan," he said, looking to me as if asking permission to send Ryan off to- probably,- Devin's place.

     I pursed my lips. "Ry, go."

     "But-"

     I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I had, saying, "Ryan, you've got to go."

     He flattened his fluffy little fox ears against his head, tail drooping unhappily as he scurried over and peeked at me once more before hopping through the portal which had snapped shut after him.

     "He should be alright with Devin," Mags said to me, turning to the shifter. "Lets get whatever we can out of this one.."