♕ || pieces

A/N: i'm just going to apologize in advance for the ending of this. i'm just going to apologize in advance for all future stories as well; my writing is shit lately (and almost always). and, for how short this is- sorry about that, too.
———

      Mags was fussing with that portal base Ryan had snatched from the woods. I glanced over, saying, "What does that even do? Is everything okay now..?"

     I doubt it, but hey, I can try.

     He sighed. "You need pieces for portals to important places like Heaven or Hell. Like, I can open a portal to my house, or other places like that, but I'd need six of these," he waved the metal piece in his hand, "to go to Heaven or Hell or anywhere like that. It'd be chaos if anyone could portal there. There are only six pieces for the Hell portal. Only six for the Heaven one, blah blah blah, you get the picture. Only representatives of Hell and Heaven can hop worlds as necessary, only if it's absolutely necessary. But anyway, I mean.. As long as we keep this away from anyone looking to spark the apocalypse, well, we're okay. I think."

     "You think?"

     He shrugged. "I've rewired portals before. One missing piece isn't a guarantee that we're safe. If we can find a few more and get them far, far away from each other, I think that'd be best."

     "Why can't we just smash them all and move on with our lives?" I asked as I sat up, Ryan hopping off of me to stretch a bit.

     Mags scrunched his nose up. "You'd be arrested for it. Depending on what you are, the court decides where you'd go. Someone like Ryan would likely be shipped off to spend the rest of forever in a prison in Heaven. They'd probably send someone like you to limbo. Someone like me would go to Hell. And obviously prison treatment varies on where and what you are.

     They'd probably break and rebreak my wrists and, or, fingers until I couldn't use magic anymore, and I'd probably end up someone's prison bitch. Demons aren't fond of warlocks," he shrugged. "I'm not worried about it. Fox," he said, looking to Ryan, "the other portal pieces. Do you know where they are?" He asked.

     Ryan bit his lip and nodded a bit. "Yeah.. I can go get 'em."

     "I'll go with you," I spoke up. The idea of Ryan being out on his own was unsettling.

     "No," Ryan said, waving a finger at me. "Stay here! It's safer," he said softly, ears low. He was pouting at me, which didn't help any.

     "Fine, fine." I muttered.

     Ryan grabbed my jacket and wiggled into it. It was way too baggy on him, bur he looked cute.

     "Good." He said with a nod before scampering off.

     He's nuts if he thinks I'm not gonna follow him.