♕ || explanations

Vinny had fallen fast asleep in Devin's bed, and Dev had left me with Mags and Ryan while he went to talk with Ashley and Ricky, and, well, anyone- it's important that we're all in the loop on this sort of thing.

     Mags was sitting up on the counter, as Devin had been. I don't understand what it is with magic users and sitting up on counters, but I guess if they're happy. He twisted his wedding ring. "Your parents," he began casually. "Were like Devin. Like Ashley-" I took note of the way he hadn't said 'like me.' "When children are born into magical communities, it's not a very good thing for them not to inherit the abilities their parents had. The doctors can always tell beforehand if the child can or cannot use magic. When the answer is that they can't, most parents choose to abort. In their homeland, they see it as it's for the child's benefit. They can't imagine living without magic, because they had grown up knowing it. So, they abort the baby. Your parents lived here on earth. And more than anything, they simply didn't care what you could or couldn't do. They wanted a child. That's it. A child that would grow up healthy with or without magic." He told me.

     "When you were seven, your parents used their magic to put a sort of block over them. No one could find them or hurt them- it kept you safe. The doctors hadn't predicted that you'd only be late in developing your powers- your parents had no way to know, and they still don't. Clairvoyance is a dying trait- I was always able, but then, I'm old. Most of my type had it- I'm one of the few left," he said proudly. "How do you kill an immortal?"

     I squinted. Immortals are- well, immortal. They can't die. What kind of question is that? "They can't be killed." I said, glancing up at Mags as I pet Ryan's hair. He was asleep in my lap, now.

     Mags closed his eyes. Two of them, anyway, the ones that were where a normal human's eyes would be. His second set was directly underneath the top set, and they seemed glowing when he looked at me.

"There's nothing in the rules," Mags spoke timidly, his voice reminding me vaguely of the soft feeling grass could have. I thought of the woods. Meeting Ryan.. "that says we can't kill ourselves. Others can't kill us, but nothing says we can't kill ourselves." He told me. "Some of us just couldn't keep going. It hurts, I suppose, watching the ones we love age and die, age and die, age and die no matter who they are." He twisted his wedding ring again. "I was lucky for awhile." He added, "That's not important just yet. Any questions so far?" He inquired.

I should have had a million, but all that came to mind was his eyes. What does anyone need four of them for? "What ah-.." I trailed off. "Having four eyes- how is that..?"

He snorted. "The bottom ones are for looking closer at things and seeing through all the bullshit. I could read you like a book if I wanted. I'll never need glasses as long as my second set of eyes is still functional," he shrugged. "The first warlocks all have something to prove what we are. For me, it's having four eyes." He shrugged it off. "Now, back onto the topic. I owe you an apology," he said.

I leaned back a little. "An apology for what?" I asked, genuinely curious. He sighed. "Not trying to contact you. Being one of the only original warlocks in the United States, and a friend of your family, I should have tried to teach you things before you got dragged into all of this."

One of the only original warlocks in the United States... but Devin said he was the only one. "I thought you were the only-.. Devin said you were one of the oldest in the U.S," I said. It implied he was the only one- that was what Devin made it seem like.

     Mags quirked an eyebrow. "I should be hurt at the fact he thinks I'm old. It's true, but- oh, never mind. I'm one of two original warlocks in the U.S., and I'll have you know, I'm the younger of the two."

     "Well," I paused. "Who's the other? We could probably use the help.." I suggested.

     Mags looked away. "Help? From the warlock that hexed your friend? I don't think so. Barnabas and I are," he paused, examining his hands. "not on the best terms. He's currently working for a very vile man, and I'll have no part in any of that. I'd assume they're the ones trying to access the portal out in the woods," he sighed. "It would be best to have everyone evacuate the state. But we can't do that," he seemed annoyed. "Oh well."

     Oh well? "Are the people here in danger?" I dared to ask. Mags rubbed his hands up and down over his knees, saying, "Oh, of course. If Barnabas and Oz are really in cahoots with each other, well, not even cockroaches will survive, and they can live through nuclear warfare- so I've heard." He sounded too casual, "But I'll do what I can to make sure that doesn't happen," he said.

     I was too stunned to even say a damned thing.

     "And you're going to help."

A/N: predictions? some of you already know who Oz is. any guesses on who Barnabas is? why isn't he on good terms with Mags, and why did he choose to hex Vinny out of anyone?