Speculation

Sarah's POV

When my alarm went off at 5 am, I laid there for a minute gathering my thoughts. I was supposed to meet Kate in a half hour for our run so I threw off the covers and got out of bed, the wooden floor cold beneath my feet. I went to the bathroom to pull my long, curly auburn hair back into a tight ponytail and found a headband to help keep the fuzzies from popping out everywhere. 

After quickly brushing my teeth, I changed into running clothes, keeping it simple - shorts and a tank top. It was quite warm already this morning, which meant it was going to be a miserably hot day. I laced up my favorite running shoes and glanced out the peephole to see if Kate was outside already; she seemed like a morning person.

I could hear Steve moving around already on the other side of my bedroom wall; I guess he was an early riser, too. I'd found myself wondering about him at odd times yesterday and regretted that I hadn't the courage to ask him to go get coffee together sometime. I was sure that I'd have another chance eventually, though, so I looked forward to our next meeting.

I checked my phone; I still had 10 minutes so I scrolled through Instagram to catch up on what my friends had been up to recently until I heard a quiet knock on my door. I jumped up to see Kate in track shorts and a formfitting racer back tank top.

"Hey, do I need pepper spray or is it pretty safe around here?" I asked as I tucked my phone and keys into my flip belt; I hated things weighing down my pockets and hitting me when I ran. The blond didn't look like she had anything other than her phone or keys in her wrist bag.

"No, the route I take is pretty well traveled and there are always officers in the park."

"Good to know." 

As we headed out the door, I made sure to look before I went past Steve's door. We kept quiet as we went down the stairs since it was so early and I didn't want to wake anyone up with our chatter. 

I made sure to keep to Kate's pace when we got outside, a quick jog that still allowed for conversation. While she was in fairly good shape, not everyone ran like I preferred to - all out for a minimum of 10 miles - and as a Shield agent, I was trained to blend in, so no showing off - at least, not yet.

"So did you get all your stuff moved in?"

"Yeah, didn't take very long. It's nice that all of the big furniture was provided in my lease. Made things a lot easier. I think it took longer to convince my folks that I'll be fine than anything else!"

Kate laughed. "Must be your first place, then?"

"Yeah. Just graduated last week, so I figured it was time. This place is pretty close to work, though, so that's a plus. Where do you work at?"

"I'm a nurse at the VA hospital, so I usually work 12 hour shifts and rotate through the different wards."

"Sounds rewarding."

"Yeah, it is."

"Oh, did I tell you I met my other neighbor yesterday?" I said as we turned onto another road.

"No." She glanced at me, with a grin. "Jake or Steve?" 

"Steve."

"Handsome, isn't he? I could look at him all day."

"Uh-huh. Definitely. Who's Jake?"

"No changing the subject! So what did you think of Steve and where'd you meet him?"

"Well, I tripped over him in the hall - like actually tripped over him."

"Oh no! Were you okay?"