What're you doing here?

Sarah's POV

I paused at the doorway to Steve's room, taking a moment to appreciate the scene there. He was leaned mostly upright, smiling at something Natasha or Maria had said. Bruce and Tony had their heads together discussing something. Clint was balancing his chair on the back two legs. Someone put their arms around me, startling me until I caught Jace's distinctive scent. I leaned back into his chest, smiling.

"Hey. I didn't know you were coming down today," I said quietly.

"Just got here. Romanoff called yesterday night and told me I'd better come as soon as possible; Director Gregg cleared it." In the short time Jace had known Natasha, they'd really hit it off, becoming pretty good friends.

"Where were you?"

"Over in Europe, sorry it took so long for me to get here."

I turned into him, wrapping my arms around his waist and burying my head in his broad, familiar chest. I felt him put his arms around me and stroke my back and hair soothingly.

"I'm so glad you're here," I whispered. "I missed you." Tears were rolling down my cheeks, but I didn't care. I'd been on such an emotional roller coaster today, I no longer knew what I was feeling anymore.

"I'm just happy this was a false alarm. It didn't sound good when I talked to Natalia; she wasn't sure he was gonna make it through the night," he said, his voice unsteady.

"He almost didn't. We just finished the last surgery right before you got here." I felt Jace inhale deeply as that sank in. He looked down at me, wiping my tears away with his thumb.

"Are you okay, Sarah?"

"Yeah, I will be - now that I know he's gonna make it. Why don't you head in? I'll be back in a little bit."

He let go of me, meeting my eyes. "Okay, but I'm sending Natalia after you if you aren't back in ten minutes."

"Natalia? She know you call her that?"

"Her idea. Jason Knight doesn't know Natasha Romanoff; he's just a first year cadet. Go now, if you're still going." He leaned down and picked his bag up, ready to walk in the room. I saw Natasha watching us as I turned to walk away.

*   *   *

Steve's POV

"Steven Grant Rogers, what the heck did you do now?"

I looked up as I heard a familiar voice saying my name. I smiled as I saw Jace Barnes walking into the room wearing a crooked grin, my heart skipping a beat as my eyes played tricks on me, making me think it was Bucky for a moment, even though I knew it wasn't.

 "Jace! What are you doing here?"

He set his pack on the floor by Sarah's bag before coming over to me. That crooked grin widened as he sat down on the bed, leaned over, and threw an arm around my neck. I pulled him close with my good arm, closing my eyes and just holding him for a moment.

"A little birdie told me I better get my ass here since you were trying to die without permission," he said quietly in my ear.

"I'd laugh, but it hurts too bad right now." I said, letting him go. I turned to Natasha and glared at her. "Damn it, Nat! Did you tell everyone that?"

 She only laughed in reply as she came over next to us, leaving Clint at the window. "Glad you could make it, Barnes."

 "Me, too. Even happier it's a false alarm." He pulled Natasha into a quick hug, and I was surprised so see that she returned it. "It's good to see you, Natalia." He kissed her cheek and let her go. "I gave Sarah a ten minute head start about three minutes ago."