Root for the home team

Sarah's POV

    Steve was pleasantly surprised when the escort led us down to the locker rooms to introduce him to the teams. I hung back and watched, just glad to see him so happy. He really was a baseball fan because he knew a little about most of the players on the team, saying a little something to all of them. The players were enthused about meeting Captain America and I took a lot of pictures for them, including one of the whole team and Steve.

    During a quiet moment, the owner of the Nationals asked if I thought Steve would like to throw the opening pitch of the game. I pulled Steve aside for a moment to ask him, not wanting to agree to something like that without knowing if he wanted to or not.

    "Steve, Mr Lerner wants to know if you would throw the opening pitch tonight."

    His cobalt eyes were wide as they found mine. "Really?"

    "Yes. He just asked a moment ago. Do you want to?"

    "That would be great, Sarah. What do you think?"

    "I think you should do it. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, Steve." I said, encouraging him.

    "Only if you'll come down with me. I'm concerned that I'll throw too hard and injure the catcher."

    "You can warm up with me to get it to an acceptable speed. I can handle your throws." I looked up him and smiled. "Will that work for you?" I asked the owner, who had come back over to us in time to hear the last of our conversation.

    "Yes, I believe it will. How will you be able to help Captain Rogers, Miss Sarah?"

    "Don't underestimate her, Ted. There's more to her than meets the eye." Steve said, smiling at me. I grinned in response, knowing he had no idea who I was.

    "Then you are a very lucky man, Captain." Mr Lerner said, smiling at us.

    "Yes, I am." Steve agreed, tucking my hand in the crook of his elbow. "Where to next?"

    "Jim said the Rockies would like to meet you as well, Steve. If you don't mind, that is."

    "Certainly. How are we on time?"

    "You still have plenty of time yet before we need to get to the infield. I'll have Pat bring you down when you are done with the Rockies."

    "Thanks, Ted." Steve said, shaking his hand. The older man clapped Steve on the back, smiling widely.

    "No, thank you, Captain. It's been our pleasure."

    We walked out of the locker room and followed Pat to the other team's locker room. They were expecting us and were just as excited to meet Steve as the Nats had been. I took some more pictures of Steve until Pat let me know that we needed to let the team warm up.

    "Thanks for leading us around today, Pat. Is there anyone else we should see today after the opening pitch?"

    "As a matter of fact, Miss Sarah, there is. If the Captain doesn't mind, there is a small group of kids from the Children's National Medical Center here today for the game." I looked up at Steve to see what he thought.

    "I don't mind." Steve said, smiling at me. "Do we have time now?"

    "Yes, it's still an hour before the game starts, Captain."

    "Lead on then, Pat." As we followed him, I explained to Steve that these kids had some kind of major medical problem, usually a form of cancer.