Infiltration

Sarah's POV

I finally broke the kiss, resting my head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around me in a hug. We stayed that way for a long moment before I eased back from him. He pushed my hair back, tucking it behind my ear.

"I think you got this, honey. What do you think?" Clint asked, smiling at me gently.

I nodded. "I can do this, I think." I reached for his hand and linked my fingers with his, making him smile. "This is different for you, too, isn't it?"

"Yeah. It's been a long time since I've had a different partner. Nat and I have been a team for six years and the seven before that I was either alone or with Maria."

"I have a hard time imagining Maria in the field. I mean, I know she was, I just can't see it."

"She was quite good at it; we worked well together. For the past couple years, she's been Fury's second, and that has made her...different, harder in a way. Your role here was originally hers, you know. We created it when Ronin needed her to blend in and for backup."

"I didn't know that. I just assumed the cover was because of my middle name, so I'd respond instinctively."

"Coincidence. I'm looking forward to seeing how you play this, Sarah. We're almost to the airstrip. Are you ready to meet everyone else?"

I nodded, putting our coms back online and standing up. We were taking one of Tony's unmarked jets that was currently registered to a dummy holding. Bobbi Morse and Lance Hunter were already there, along with Grant Ward and several of the other agents that were going in as our men.

This whole op rested on Clint and Hunter as the forwards. Clint had an established alias that he had used before, Ronin, a title that was conveniently recognized more by reputation than by any specific Agent.  He'd borrowed my short swords since they'd been easy for Nat to grab when she was loading our gear. Hunter kept his name since he was already known by it in the merc communities, and Bobbi was known as his 'Barbie.' Grant and the rest of the guards got to keep their names since they weren't usually undercover agents in this region.

Bobbi took one look at me and told me to grab my bag before she dragged me to a private bedroom on the plane so we could get changed into our working clothes – in my case a micro mini and a crop top, similar to the revealing bodycon dress she was wearing.

"What you have to do on a mission stays with that mission," Bobbi said as she finished her makeup and started on mine. "You have a part to play and you had better be the best goddamn actress I have ever seen or I'll kill you myself if you blow our covers."

Did I believe her? Yes, yes I did. She was a lot like Natasha, so I found myself relaxing around her. "I won't blow our covers. I think I know what is expected of me other than my tech skills."

"Good. Yeah, it sucks to have to pretend to be brainless eye candy, but at least we don't have to be hookers this time. I really hate being a hooker."

I gawked at her and shook my head. "I don't think I could be a convincing hooker. I'm still a virgin."

"Well, that explains a few things." She looked at me with undeniable amusement. "You won't have to really do it with Clint. There's a lot of other stuff you can do that'll be just as convincing to a listener."

"What kind of stuff?"

"I'm not even sure where to start with that one, kid. You're just going to have to trust Clint and follow his lead. Don't you have any slutty friends?"

"No, but my best friend has dated that kind of girl. I better get a Golden Globe for this performance when we get back."

Bobbi laughed as I mimed holding a statue and taking a bow. "You and me both. I used to be married to Hunter, so at least I know what to expect from him."