Take me out to the ball game

Steve's POV

I woke up later than usual, reaching over for Sarah, only to find the bed next to me empty. I sat up and stretched before getting out of bed to go find her. She wasn't anywhere in my apartment, so I went to grab my phone to call her, smiling when I found her sticky note on top of my phone: Went to go workout downstairs. Be back soon. P.S. My parents and Jace are coming up this morning, so decide where you want to go for lunch. - S

    I still had time to get a quick run in, so I found a workout shirt and pulled it on before putting on my shoes and setting up my music. Sarah had taught me how to work the iPod Bruce had given me for my birthday, so I thought I would try running with it like she did. I scribbled a quick note and set it on the table for Sarah before heading out the door.

    I met Kate on the stairs, she was just getting back from her run I could tell.

    "Morning, Kate." I paused to talk to her for a moment. She looked a little surprised that I was seeking her out, and I didn't blame her. Until the other day I really hadn't ever talked to her.

    "Morning, Steve." She said, taking her earbuds out. "You're running late today."

    I smiled slightly. "Overslept. We went to the drive-in last night and didn't get home until late." I looked over at her, making a quick decision. "Do you have plans tonight?"

    "Not really, why?" She cocked her head at me, raising an eyebrow.

    "I was wondering if you wanted to go the baseball game with us tonight?" She looked a little hesitant, so I continued, "Jace said Sarah's not huge into sports and Chloe can't come, so I thought it would be nice for her to have a friend to visit with during the game. They're are usually a couple hours long." Her expression cleared, so that must be an acceptable reason to ask her to come with.

    Kate smiled at me warmly. "Oh. Yeah, sure! I've never been to a professional game."

    "Great! We've got a ticket for you already, and you can ride with us if you want."

    She nodded, leaning back against the wall. "Sure. What time are you leaving?"

    "Probably sometime around 4. I'll let you know when I find out."

    "Sarah has my number, so just send me a text, okay?"

    "Okay. Thanks, Kate!"Other people started coming up the stairs, so she started moving again. I nodded before moving on.

    "Anytime, Steve. Enjoy your run."

    "I will."

    I put in my earbuds and smiled to myself as I made my way out of the building. I knew how long games could go, so I was glad Sarah would have someone to visit with if I got absorbed in the game like I used to. I set out at a fast pace, the miles flying by as I took my usual route past the Washington monument and the reflecting pool. It was a warm morning already, so I was soaked with sweat by the time I turned back home.

    My phone buzzed just as I was slowing down for the last block. I took it out and slowed to a walk.

    "Hey Sam. I didn't see you out running today."

    "That's cause I'm already done for the morning. Did you sleep in or something?"

    "Yeah. Sarah turned off my alarm since we didn't get home until 1 am from the drive-in."

    "All right, I suppose that's a good excuse. What time are you guys heading to the stadium?"

    "Around 4. Are you meeting us there?"