I Don't Dance

Sarah's POV

Soon enough, breakfast was over and Chloe went upstairs to get her stuff before she went home. She gave Steve a hug, surprising him. I promised her I'd call later that week as I gave her a hug at the door. I went back into the kitchen to talk to Jace while Steve went upstairs to get ready for church. We walked out the patio door and I shut it behind us before giving him a firm hug. He held me tight for a long time.

"I'm going to miss you, Jace. Don't have too much fun at Ops without me," I murmured into his neck.

"I'll try not to. I'll see you in a couple weeks, Sarah. Thanks for bringing Steve with you. It really meant a lot to my grandpa and his siblings."

"Any time. I think it was just as good for him, too."

"Be nice to Steve and try not to confuse him too much by being a girl."

"You're taking his side?" I pulled back a bit so I could see Jace's expressions. His cerulean eyes were serious, which was a bit of a change from his normal façade.

"Of course. He has no idea what he's getting into with you."

"You say that like it's a bad thing. I'm just as clueless as he is about how relationships really work."

"He cares a lot for you, you know. I talked to him a bit last night, while you were helping Chloe. I can see why you like him."

"I do like him, Jace; I like him a lot, which is kinda crazy since I haven't known him for that long. I really only met him a week ago."

"He's a good guy – I don't think you could find a better guy than him, Sarah. Not that you need it, but I approve."

"Thanks. Now we just need to find you a decent woman. No more hoe-bags. You need someone you can trust if you're going to be an agent."

"I think I just need to be single for a while, decide what it is that I'm looking for."

"You do that. I'll call you sometime this week. Bye Jace." I put my arms around his torso and squeezed him tight.

"Bye Sarah. No more getting shot." He squeezed back and I let him go with a grin.

"No promises," I said with a smirk.

I heard him laugh as I turned to go inside. I had just enough time to shower and get ready before we needed to leave for church.

We rode with my parents to St. Paul's. Steve had mentioned he was also Catholic when I told him we would be going to church on Sunday, and he was interested in seeing my church. It was a little ostentatious, but it had some beautiful stained glass windows. It was built in the style of the classic Roman cathedrals that were common here in the east.

 We dipped our right hands in the holy water and made the sign of the cross. Steve followed my parents and me in, genuflecting and pulling out the kneeler. We were early enough that they were still saying the rosary, so I joined in after a couple minutes of silent prayer. 

Steve joined in shortly after that and we finished out the prayers. Sitting back in the pew, I pointed out the board with the numbers for the songs and leafed through the song book, happy to see that some of my favorites were on for today. I liked to sing, but it was not one of my gifts. Steve, surprisingly enough, was an excellent baritone and a good ear.

Father was inspired this weekend and the sermon was an excellent one, speaking mainly to the graduated seniors, but also to Steve. He spoke of making choices and moving forward, how God would always be there for us, exhorting us to go out and live, making the most of our time on earth. I reached for Steve's hand when I saw the repressed emotions flicker across his face and he twined his fingers with mine, not letting go until he had to.