Chapter 3

"Come on, move it up" Mason says to me as I put my stuff down in history.

It's the next day, Thursday, and the last of five lessons today. I sit with him and James on a row of four, they're on the two next to the aisle and then besides me, I have a spare seat next to the window and radiator meaning all the more room for me.

"Why?" I ask, turning to him as he tries to push my stuff up next to the window.
"Because the only spare seat in class is next to you and we have a new boy in with us" Mason grins evilly. The question is Chenle or Jisung? Please be Jisung. Unless of course it's some other random new boy. That'd be welcome.

"Ah, hello, come in" my teacher says, standing up from her desk, hence announcing the arrival of the new student to everyone else. I twist to see which NCT member it is and, much to my dismay, find Chenle's eyes roaming the room.

"Hello, I'm Chenle. I believe I'm meant to be in your class" he introduces himself politely.
"Yes, you are. Welcome, you can sit next to Raven, by the window" she says, pointing to me who, whilst everyone has been distracted, has moved back to my original space as the third farthest from the aisle, not the fourth and last one.
"Thank you" he smiles as our teacher hands him an exercise book plus the several sheets he needs to stick in them.
"Just ask Raven what we were doing since we're carrying on from yesterday for about ten minutes. You should be grateful you're sat next to the A* student" she says kindly, both to Chenle and the last part to me. I smile shyly in return, cheeks flushing at her compliment before she heads back to the front of the room.
"Good afternoon Raven" he smiles as he gets his pencil case out of his bag.
"Hey Chenle" I say.
"Aw, our little Raven is going all red and embarrassed. Do you like him?" Mason teases.
"Chenle, would you like to meet Mason, the twat, and James, one of the few decent boys in our year" I tell him, indicating the two boys. "Also Mason, shut your face"
"Burn" James teases, earning a grateful smile from me.
"So, what are we doing?" Chenle asks me.

For the next twenty minutes I talk Chenle through the activities with occasional help from James and annoying comments from Mason - on the most part it's just me though. Part way through the lesson the two boys have to leave for a school football match, meaning it's only Chenle and I on our row. We get along alright, not making a great effort to keep the conversation going but enough of one for it not to be awkward. It's as we're packing up that he asks something of interest - most of our conversations beforehand revolving around this lesson and this school.

"I hope this doesn't seem rude, but, um, if you don't mind me asking, where's your family from? It's just you're like the only other Asian person in the school" he says, trying not to be awkward.
"Korea" I say just as our teacher tells us that we can go. Deciding that that's too brief, I continue. "My dad is British, my mum is Korean. She moved over here after university since she came to study here - hence how she met my dad - but only decided to stay permanently after that. I have an uncle who still lives in Seoul, where my family originate from, but both my Korean grandparents died when I was young" I explain.
"Oh, that makes sense." He says, nodding his head slightly. "Have you ever visited Seoul, or Korea in general?"
"A couple of times. I went when my grandparents were still alive about three times - they died when I was five. I've been twice since then and the last time was three years ago when I was 11 to visit my uncle. When his work allows, he normally comes to visit us here instead of us flying out there."
"Oh, ok" he replies.
"You know, it must be tough for you. It's not like your parents, to the best of my knowledge, are dead but you're living in a foreign country, half way across the world from them with little understanding of the culture and no great knowledge of the language" I remark as we keep walking out of the school gates together.
"Yeah, but no worse than when I lived in Korea" he shrugs it off.
"You were closer then and besides, you're only fourteen. It's got to be tough"
"But I'm doing what I love and it's helping me achieve my dream. That's what matters and I'm still going to see my parents as often as I did in Seoul, the travel will just take a little bit longer. What about you, any dreams or aspirations?" He asks, trying to change the subject and lighten the mood a bit.
"Go to university; I'm interested in studying law or history. Beyond that, I'm not sure and the thing is, plans always change. I don't think anyone can truly plan for the future" I say.
"I know what you mean. See you tomorrow, this is me" he says as we reach a black van.
"What is it with idols and vans? I'll see you tomorrow Chenle" I laugh lightly before continuing my way up the hill and towards the bus stop where I'll be the bus into the centre of the city to meet my mum at her work.
_____
"Hey, can we sit here?" A voice asks from behind. All eyes at the lunch table shoot to that person with those of us like me who have their back to them swivelling in their seats. Chenle and Jisung.
"Sure, don't see why not" Rosie shrugs, who like me, turns herself back in her seat so that she's sat towards the centre of the table - she had to swivel as did Skye on the other side of me.