Chapter 23

I breathe heavily, a smile of great satisfaction blooms on my face and I glance at the audience assembled to gauge their reactions. It's over. My evaluation is over. And they all look pleased - from Lee Soo Man to Kang to the Managers and finally to the NCT boys, or those assembled at least.

They clap as I move towards them, sitting with  the boys as Junseo goes up for his turn - Monsta X Hero for his dance, Bigbangs Last Dance for his vocal performance. Together, we've already performed the routine for Love Me Right whilst my dance song was Catch Me If You Can (snsd) and my vocal was Rough by GFriend. They went quite well and I'm pleased with them.

I mentally think through what I did while grabbing a drink to rehydrate myself. After Junseo is finished, it's just Chan and then we're done. He goes quite quickly - his dance routine short but intense with his vocals captivating. That was one of the first things I noticed when I practiced with him - he's incredibly talented.

"Well done. You've all improved massively and I'm most pleased with Junseo and Rae. You've progressed incredibly well considering that you've only been in the company for just two months or so" Lee Soo Man grins once everyone is finished. "As ever, there are points you can work on but I will talk with the instructors about them later."

"Dream members, I believe you've got a v live? And then the rest of you have practice?" He asks so we all nod. "Ok, off you go then. I don't want to hold up your schedules but Chenle and Raven, I need to speak to you" he orders.

At the mention of Chenle and I staying behind, we glance nervously at each other. Have we done something wrong? Maybe it's about yesterday when he walked into the practice room and we didn't stand up or anything?

He beckons for us to come closer so we do. Hauling ourselves to our feet, I can tell the nerves are bubbling inside him as they are me. We walk the few feet towards him as he also stands along with Kang and one of the instructors I've never properly met before.

"Having looked at the way you two danced, individually and in the group performance, as well as by speaking to your instructors, I can tell you two are progressing well. You each have a certain flare to you, that emotional side of dancing that even the best cannot always master." He begins, "As such, I would like to offer you two an opportunity. Choreograph a duet for me - song and style of your choice."

"I expect it to be of the highest quality because what I then want to offer you I incredibly rare" he smiles. "It will have to be done by the time you return during your next school break and when the documentary has finished filming - we've come up with a time frame for that but more on the subject later." He waves it away airily as Chenle and I both desperately try to understand what he means. Take it in.

"I wish for you to perform it as a special stage on one, or possibly more, of the music channels as a form of promotion for the series" he completes the explanation. "Raven, I want you to add the spark and develop while Chenle, I've chosen you because, from what I've been told, you are the closest to Raven and hence have some of the best chemistry. What I want is for it to be unique - there are barely any girl/boy duets, let alone at such a young age so it'll grab attention. I'll give you more details at a later date but just think it through and start working on it" he grins, heading towards the door.

Once he's gone, Chenle turns to me and we simply look at each other. We're the only people on the room so we simply stand there in silence. I contemplate what to say as it stretches on around us.

"Don't you have a v live you need to go and join?" I grin.
"Probably. I guess you should start listening to some songs, come up with a few ideas. I'll come join you afterwards because we need to get working on this. We have five or six weeks and it needs to be perfect" he smiles back.
"Deal. Let's do this" I say enthusiastically as we walk towards the door, grabbing our hoodie on the way. Chenle's stuff is in his locker while my things are in my own - I've been given a locker now.
"Think you can find your way?" He winks, referencing the fact that I got lost on the way to practice earlier this morning before the evaluations.
"Yes. And if I do get lost, I just ask someone" I role my eyes.
"Really, cause earlier you panic called Renjun and we had to come and find you" he teases so I gently shove him.