After All This Time

Sasuke's POV

Sasuke was playing with his chopsticks, stuck into some steamy rice and barbecue. Everyone was sitting at the same table, enjoying themselves. Of course, everyone except the raven. Ino hadn't given up until she had dragged him along.
The place was nice though, Choji's favorite. And good food too. But it's not like the teen bothered to eat at all. Sakura couldn't bring her gaze to his face, still ashamed, because otherwise she would have been the one to make him follow the group the whole day.
We should be searching for Naruto instead of wasting our time like this. He grunted, but everybody was caught so deep into their conversation they failed to notice.

"We should really get ourselves a vacation. Wouldn't that be nice?" Ino spoke up. Sasuke was outraged.
How can they think about a freaking vacation when the dobe is still out there?!
"To wash away the worries for once."
"Yeah, not a bad idea." Sakura joined her, instantly getting out of her gloomy mood.
"What do you think, guys?" The two excited girls looked around them.
"Eh, seems a little too troublesome. Getting permission from the Hokage and from our families." Shikamaru laid with his back leaned against the comfy chair, eyes closed.
"But it would be really great! Besides, Lady Tsunade knows how much we've been working these past three months. Going out on missions, and.. Well, you know." Tenten said, her face turning sad the moment she remembered their once blond friend.

"Exactly. We shouldn't leave when we still have to bring him back." Sasuke kept his cool, no matter how angry he actually was. He didn't want to start a fight and destroy their good mood. He did care about his friends, not as much as he cared about Naruto though, but still. Everyone was surprised to hear him talking. He never joins their activities, only if somebody struggles a lot to pursue him into doing it. The raven had his eyes closed in order to hide the feelings. It was a common thing, really.
"Yeah, but-" Lee cut Sakura off.
"I'm so terribly sorry, Sakura, but he is absolutely right! We shall not stop looking for Naruto while we're still youthful!" He raised his fist in the air.
"I agree with the asshole and Lee, for once." Kiba raised his hand. "It's still our duty to get his stealthy ass here."
Sasuke let his nickname slide and watched their expressions change.
"Me too." Shikamaru said no more as the girls frowned and admitted their mistake.
"Yeah, you're right." Ino gave up, realizing how much she missed him herself.

Choji nodded his head towards Shikamaru, his mouth stuffed fully with cooked meat. Tenten sighed with a lost gaze. Nobody asked Hinata because they were aware of her feelings towards Naruto and already knew that she agreed with them. Neji was silent the whole time, probably pondering on some new justu. That's his genius way of forgetting the everyday problems.
Sakura lowered her head, her eyes full of sadness. But not because she couldn't laze on a sunny beach, but because she missed her lost teammate and felt terribly sorry for chasing him away. No matter what Sasuke thought, Sakura did blame herself for Naruto's disappearance and wished to get him and his goofy smile back.

Shino remained silent as Akamaru barked in agreement.
"Then it's decided. We're staying here." Shikamaru stood up from his seat.
"Where are you going?" Ino looked at him.
"To see if Lady Hokage has any tracks on Naruto." He payed his part and then left without any other word. And so did Sasuke. The rest payed their bills and followed them to the Hokage's Mansion.
They were all walking through the main market. Suddenly, Konohamaru popped his head out of some melons laying for sale. He tugged the edge of Sasuke's shirt, making him turn his head and look at him.
"Urgh.. What is it?" The raven rolled his eyes as everyone stopped to see what was going on.

"Are you gonna search for Big Brother again?" He fidgeted with his scarf.
"Yes." After hearing his answer, Konohamaru made that puppy face no one can resist.
"No." No one except a raven with duck-butt hairstyle.
"Please! He was supposed to compete with me for the title of Hokage! I need him here to be my rival!" The boy flushed a little. Sasuke sighed.
"Fine. You can come with us only if the Hokage allows you to." The teen closed his eyes and returned to his pace as the others did the same, and a very happy and excited Konohamaru short on their tail. He knew that Lady Tsunade would never agree to something like this anyway.

"You miss him too, don't you Konohamaru?" Sakura ruffled his brown hair.
"Yeah. He's the only one who's actually treated me like a shinobi and not like the Third's grandson." The boy moved his sad gaze on the dusty ground.
"Don't worry, I promise we'll bring him back." She smiled at him softly. Konohamaru thought of the pinkette as the scary lady who brakes her distance throwing record every time Naruto pisses her off. But since he wasn't there, Sakura couldn't bring herself to act like that with someone else. It just didn't give her that warm, affectionate feeling in her heart.

They had finally arrived at the Hokage's office. Muffled voices came from inside the room. It was Lady Tsunade's and the other seemed somehow... Familiar. A knot formed inside Sasuke's throat. He tried to swallow it but to no avail. What's this feeling?
Shikamaru walked in the lead and grabbed the door knob. Time stood still. Slowly, the brown haired teen turned the wooden piece and opened the door. In that very moment, Sasuke felt his world collapse. He couldn't believe his eyes. And so did everyone else. With gaping mouths and shocked faces, they stood frozen, unable to take one step or to make a sound.

______________________________
Hehe! I know, I know, I'm evil. Sorry, can't help it. I just loooove cliffhangers. Who do you think they saw in the Hokage's office?
Vote
Comment
& Share!
~Until then!~
~Bella~
💕*kisses*