Reaching For The Lost

Naruto's POV

"You okay, kit?" Kurama ruffled the blond's locks with his muzzle.
"Yeah. Just a little rusty. I didn't expect to see them bursting out of the door, no matter how ready I was to confront them." Naruto jumped from rooftop to rooftop until he reached the Hokage Mountain. He landed on Lord Fourth's head. Dad.. What should I do? He was pretty much shaken and confused about his own feelings towards the current situation. "I didn't think I'd have to stay here for that long." He sighed.
"I know. But we're gonna get through this. You can avoid everyone if they make you feel uncomfortable."
"Huh. Always the one to come up with solutions for my everyday life, eh?" Naruto closed his eyes and leaned again the rocky wall, a smile tugging at his lips.

"You know me all too well." Kurama chuckled but soon stopped when he felt a presence nearing them. He looked at Naruto and as he prepared himself. Mostly emotionally. He recognized the chakra. How couldn't he?
The shinobi landed next to him and didn't bother to give any other sign of life. He stood there for a moment before he gathered the courage to speak. Naruto still had his eyes closed as if he didn't care. Even though he did.
"Why?" That's all Sasuke said, with a clouded gaze.
"You know why." Naruto answered coldly. That was the tone he used with anyone except Kurama.
"But why not come to me? Why leave as if I didn't matter to you at all?" Sasuke clenched his fist, trying to contain his anger and despair.

"Stop acting like you were the one who was hurt the most, in the process. I haven't come here to answer your questions anyway." He growled, making the raven stiffen. That was definitely not the Naruto he knew.
"What about your dream of becoming Hokage, huh?! Is that a lie as well?" Sasuke grunted with gritted teeth.
"Yes. I have no intention to chase a foolish dream like that." The blond's monotone voice struck a chord in the Uchiha, remembering him of his older brother.
".. Naruto? What happened to you?" Sasuke asked in a shaky voice. Naruto was always the only one who was able to see the teen's moments of insecurity.

"Nothing you should bother yourself with. Now leave me alone." The blond spoke again but opened his eyes. Sasuke's brow twitched when he caught a glimpse of the feeling he knew very well. Despair.
Naruto turned his back at him and disappeared into the trees, making sure the raven wouldn't be able to follow him.
"Don't be so hard on him, Naruto. Sasuke's done nothing wrong. He's the only one-" Naruto didn't want to hear more.
"I know. But if I warm up to him I'll most probably end up living here again. And that's something I'd rather not do." He shook his head.

Sasuke was left alone, pondering on his thoughts. He had to reach out to him. He had to get his best friend back.

~~~<>~~~

Sasuke's POV

Sasuke was standing in the Hokage's office along with his team and the others. Lady Tsunade had summoned them, including their sensei. She rubbed her temples tiredly.
"I have a mission for you. It's a highly dangerous S rank." Sasuke's eyes glimmered with excitement. Suddenly, Naruto appeared by the door, leaning against the wall with his eyes closed and black hood still on. He startled all of them except Tsunade, who was expecting him. Sasuke hated the fact that he couldn't tell when Naruto would show up.

"You summoned me, Lady Hokage?" He spoke as she nodded her head.
"Naruto will be joining you." Kiba gritted his teeth at her words while Sasuke saw it as and opportunity to find the old Naruto again.
"Why this guy? We don't need this damn bastard! He's-" Naruto cut him off as if he didn't exist.
"I hope you know that if they slow me down, I'll leave them behind and complete the mission myself." The blond shot a glance at Tsunade and disappeared before Kiba could say more. That hurt the dog-boy's pride, big time.

"Kiba! Behave yourself! I said he will come with you so end of story! And no swearing in my office!" Tsunade raised her voice. The gazes her shinobi had made her explain. "Naruto has more knowledge about Orochimaru and Toneri than any of us, even me. Besides, that snake is very powerful and it's a great chance that he might be more powerful now." His name stung their minds.
"So basically, you're telling us we need Naruto to fight him." Sakura summed up her sentences. Tsunade nodded her head again. She raised her hand before the others could protest about it.
"Back to the mission. One of the northern scouts has sent us intel regarding Orochimaru's whereabouts. Your job is to find him and capture him, if possible. This way we don't have to wait for them to make a move and we get to ruin their plan before they get to start it." They all nodded at once.

"Shouldn't we let Naruto know?" Ino spoke up.
"He already does. Now go." Tsunade waved her hand dismissively. After they left, she opened a drawer and pulled out a bottle of sake. "Uh.. I should really get myself a freaking vacation.." She poured some of it in a glass and gulped it down.

*One Hour Later*

Naruto's POV

"Listening to her from outside while using chakra, eh? What a sneaky choice! I guess some of my personality is starting to rub off on you." Kurama ruffled his spiky hair, earning a groan from the blond.
"Maybe. Just not too much or I'll end up sleeping on a screwed up schedule." Naruto smirked, annoying the already-annoyed-by-life fox.
He was waiting for his.. Friends to depart on their mission. A few minutes later, the whole team had been assembled. They walked along the dusty road leading out of the Hidden Leaf, already on their toes for any surprise attack. Well, that's ninja life, nevertheless.

They turned left and jumped into the big, sturdy trees of the village's vicinity. Sasuke seemed to want to start a conversation, with Naruto mostly, so he spoke.
"So.. Can you tell us some things about this Toneri person that we're supposedly fighting?" The raven slightly turned his neck in the blond's direction, pushing himself from branch to branch.
Naruto didn't react while the others were a bit anxious to hear his cold voice. Instead of answering, he started his story with his eyes still on the road.
"Have any of you ever heard about the Sage of the Six Paths?"

______________________________
Heya! It's nice posting a chapter again! I hope you can bear with my slow updates cuz' my schedule is pretty f**ked up and I don't have the time to write. Sorry, but I promise I'll update at least once a week.
Vote
Comment
& Share!
~Until next time!~
~Bella~
💕