Playing With Fire

Sasuke's POV

Sasuke tried to calm his rapidly increasing breathing as his heart beat uncontrollably against his rib cage, almost close to bursting out of his chest. His words died in his throat. He swallowed furiously as if that could wash away the heavy  knot or all of those things that were currently swarming inside his blurry mind.
... Naruto? A member of the.. Oharo Clan? The clan made of ruthless and bloodthirsty criminals?

He opened his mouth intending to speak but he closed it soon after. He was left at loss of words.
A black shadow of guilt and sorrow washed all over Naruto's face while he clenched his fists which were petrified along his sides. Nawaki reached out to touch the blond's shoulder to comfort him but he stopped his hand in mid air. He knew better than to interact with him when he was in that state. A state full of painful flashbacks.

Suddenly, Kou's smirk dissolved as he closed his brown eyes, sighing slightly. An apologetic look replaced the sly one. He knew he had gone too far this time. The Oharo raised his gaze to meet Naruto's and apparently, he was deeply surprised to see the Jinchuriki's softened pools of blue, given his gaping mouth.
"I'm sorry. Naruto." Kou's shoulders finally relaxed while he leaned his back against the wall behind him.

"... It's fine. Just.. Just choose your words more carefully next time." Although he sounded gentle, Naruto's voice also held a small threat. And Kou understood it all too well. The rogue saw Sasuke staring at him intensely, as if he was waiting for an explanation. He could also feel Sakura and Kakashi's stares drilling holes into the back of his head.
".. So? Were you... Really part of the Oharo Clan?" Sasuke managed to ask indignantly, hiding the tremble in his voice.

"Yeah." He turned around completely and started walking as if nothing had happened while Nawaki stood at his side. The Uchiha narrowed his eyes. Is that all that he's got to say?! He gritted his teeth, his fists quivering with anger. Before he could snap out of his trance and punch Naruto, Sasuke was stopped by the Copy Nin's strong hold on his shoulder which kept him still.
"Don't, Sasuke. We can't force him to talk about it and it certainly wouldn't help to have him unfocused when he's the one who knows the Oharo the best. Well, maybe he does too but I doubt that he'd tell us." Eventually, Kakashi's gaze drifted off towards Kou, eyeing him warily. The man grunted at him and rolled his eyes, puffing his cheeks.

Sasuke sighed. "I know but.. Why would he join those monsters? Is he really like that?" Is he really like my brother? The raven felt a cold shudder which reminded him too much of the Uchiha slaughter.
"No. And don't you ever even think that he might truly be like an Oharo." Kou growled at him, preventing Kakashi from giving his student an answer.
"What do you know? The criminal who was hissing at him a few minutes ago?!" The Uchiha took a few steps towards him, readying his fists for a fast snap to the neck.

"Why you!-?!" The Oharo dissipated the distance between them as he grabbed Sasuke by his collar, who in exchange wrapped his slim but strong fingers around the other's wrists, threatening to make him feel unimaginable pain. He could have avoided Kou's grip but instead he chose to teach him a lesson by taking him by surprise. Kakashi could tell what was about to happen so he stayed back without any thoughts to intervene.
With her eyes widened in fear for her comrade, Sakura hurried to break them apart but stopped dead in her tracks when a low growl resonated throughout the village's street.

"Sasuke." Naruto tilted his head to look at the raven with the corner of his eye while Nawaki threw his gaze over the three. The Uchiha flinched inwardly at the sight of the look in his eyes. "Kou." He sent the Oharo a cold glare for assaulting his so called 'best friend'. "Let's go. We don't have any time to waste on your pointless and stupid quarrels." Sasuke felt as if he had hissed in their faces, even though Naruto was standing a few meters away with his eyes showing not a single shred of emotion. But Sasuke could tell that there was a mental war going on inside the Jinchuriki's head and he was angry at himself for not being of any use to him. Or at least, not for the moment.

Kou just snorted before his gaze left Naruto's dead one as he put Sasuke down. Fortunately for him, the raven was able to help himself from kicking him where the sun doesn't shine. Sasuke gave him the terrifying Uchiha glare as he stuffed his hands inside his pockets whilst on his guard for any surprise attacks. Naruto flicked his finger in Kou's direction, signaling him to join them and follow them to wherever they had planned to go. And no one dared to argue against that.

Why the hell is he coming with us?Sasuke's angry gaze found its place once more on the grunting Oharo. Kakashi narrowed his eyes, walking closely to Kou in order to keep him away from his students while Sakura unconsciously sought comfort by stepping next to Sasuke.

As they walked, Sakura suppressed a frown. She kept glancing between Sasuke and Naruto. Like the raven, she could feel the tension and the hanging questions between the two. And also likewise him, she didn't like it one bit. That must be a pretty important thing to turn Naruto into the cold idiot he is now.. Tch! Why is everything regarding him so freaking complicated?! His inner frustration was staring to leak out and effect the pinkhead as well.

Sasuke threw one last look towards Naruto's stiff back before he eyed Kou suspiciously, unbeknownst to the Oharo.
Why did he defend Naruto like that if they seem to be enemies? He could tell something was on Kou's mind since he kept staring at the ground. What's going on between these guys? What more secrets is Naruto hiding from me?

______________________________
Heya! Another chapter up for ya!
Sorry for all the talk but the next chapter's bound to get a little more.. Interesting!😉
Next time, on Naruto Shippuden: 'Alpha And Beta'
~See ya!~
~Bella~
💕