Despair Begets Sadness

Naruto's POV

A deathly silence surrounded the thick canopy of black-dotted silver birch trees. No birds chirping or flying around, no critters hiding in the somewhat lifeless vegetation. Although it was cloudy and the air was dim, there was no sound similar to thunder or the likes of it. No drops of rain, either. The whole scenery held a tint of somber quiet. Something Naruto had gotten used to.
"Are you alright?" Kurama's worried voice rang inside the blond's fuzzy mind.
"Yeah." Naruto raised his gloved hand to run his fingers through his blonde locks. "At least, I think so. Here goes the hard part, though." He suppressed a sigh.

Although he knew the type of person that he was, although he'd been aware of his goals and beliefs, although he thought his cousin would find the good path again, Naruto still couldn't imagine Nagato as their sensei's murderer and his village's destroyer, even though deep down, he knew that those had really happened.
The blond wiped away beads of sweat from his tanned forehead as his sturdy feet led him up a slope until he reached a huge maple tree. The bark's color seemed to be faded and its weird surface was smooth to the touch. Naruto took a deep breath and he raised one finger before its tip burned an orange flame. He slowly pushed it into the bark made of disguised paper sheets to see it redden and then char away at the edges until it formed a big hole, fit for his strong shoulders.

The tree itself was made entirely out of Konan's paper.

Naruto stepped over the silky white ledge and made it inside the tree, where he narrowed his eyes while his fists clenched. But he wasn't there to fight. He just wanted to understand.
His gaze met Konan's sad one. The woman nodded her head slowly, her chin tilting towards the redhead whose whole body had tubes embedded in it. Nagato's arms and legs were covered by tubular pumps which seemed to be draining the life out of him. His frail ribs were visibly through the scrawny skin of his pale chest and the dark purple in his Rinnegan made him look tired. He probably was, anyway. Naruto had never actually seen him control the Six Paths of Pain but he was more than sure that this was how he did it, and that it tired him out.

"I'll take it from here." The blond leaned slightly to whisper in Konan's ear as he walked past her, his eyes fixing Nagato's. The kunoichi closed her eyes in response, taking a few steps backwards. She was watching them closely with her worried amber gaze, strands of blue hair leaving her now messy bun.
"I figured you would be coming here." Nagato rasped slowly, his lips quivering a little. Naruto ignored him and walked closer until there was one cold meter between them. "You have grown much stronger than you were when I last saw you."
"I wish I could say the same about you, Nagato." The blond sighed. The redhead only narrowed his spiraling eyes.

After a few minutes of silence, Naruto's sad voice was no louder than a murmur. "He wouldn't have wanted this." Nagato's gaze slowly moved onto the other's tanned face. "He would never have wanted you to stray from your path only to meet.. This." His fists quivered lightly. "The sole reason he founded the Akatsuki was to make the world a better place and bring peace. Not to try and induce it using fear."
"There is no way to change this putrid world." The redhead's eyes drifted into the shadows behind the blond.
"I know." Naruto sighed again, this time ruffling his blonde, spiky locks. "I never said that Yahiko's goals were achievable. But trying to conquer the world is not the right way either."

Nagato closed his purple eyes to turn his head to the side. His cheek bones were more than visible and they stirred as a soft sigh escaped his pale lips.
"You killing Jiraiya.. I understand why you did it." The redhead's face snapped upwards, surprise prominent. "He was one of the last three ties that bound you to humanity." Naruto's gaze moved onto the ground, a miserable and humorless smile on his face. "You tried to kill me, but you didn't succeed. And you can't bring yourself to get rid of Konan, either. Don't you see, Nagato? You're not the tyrant who wants to change the world by brute force. You're still that kind child who loved his two friends and sensei. You're still my cousin and my friend." The Jinchuriki's eyes glistened slightly, his brows furrowing. "And Jiraiya knew that. That's why I'm more than certain that he doesn't hate you for doing what you did. Nor do I. I know that the cycle of hatred can be broken. And it is my goal to break it someday." His back stiffened.

Nagato sighed softly before he seemed to enter some sort of trance. The two other kept quiet knowing that he was probably thinking about it, maybe even considering what his cousin had said. Some time later which seemed to be an eternity, he let out a small chuckle, to which Naruto raised his head and Konan's eyes widened.
"You never seize to amaze me, little fox." He smiled as his gaze softened. "Maybe you are right. Maybe it is breakable. And I shall put my faith in you. If there is anyone who can achieve that, that person is you."
"Nagato.." Naruto's voice trailed off. His complexion suddenly clouded. Given the look on the redhead's face, he knew that he sought forgiveness. Naruto and Konan's forgiveness. And in order to redeem for his sins, there was only one way left. Nagato gritted his teeth as he pulled his thin hands out of the black pumps at his sides while grey puffs of smoke hissed and erupted from the machine.

"Nagato! You are too weak now! This will-!" Konan's plea was cut short.
"I am aware of that, Konan." The redhead smiled gently, bringing a few small tears to the woman's amber eyes. Naruto watched him weave some hand seals while he coughed, his face squirming slightly in distress.
"You.. Are you sure about this?" The bluenette's voice grew shaky.
"Yes. I am most certain of it." Nagato said before he coughed again as his body shook violently. He then eyed Naruto affectionately, ready for what was coming next. He moved his gaze onto Konan as they exchanged thoughts through looks. "I am sorry about everything. Konan, Naruto."
"We know." Naruto replied, his features softening. Nagato threw a glance at them one last time before he fully embraced his choice.

"Rinne Rebirth!"

~~~<>~~~

"I'm sorry." Naruto rasped, his eyes lingering on the two bodies wrapped up in papers that were floating along Konan's sides, in front of the decaying paper tree.
Nagato and Yahiko.
"It is not your fault, Naruto. He chose this for himself. He chose to become a better man by doing so." The blue haired woman looked at him gently. She lent out her arm to have a few sheets swarm around her palm and to form a paper bouquet which he pushed towards the blond. He raised his face and nodded slowly as he took it in his arms. "We shall meet again, when the time comes. Take care." She ruffled his blonde hair playfully, a spark of sadness remaining in her eyes.
"So long." Naruto's gaze softened, causing Konan to smile at him before she and the bodies silently disappeared into a screen of paper, leaving only the rising dust behind. He sighed, his chest feeling heavy. I guess that's it.

The blond turned around and jumped onto the nearest branch. He jumped onto the next one in front of him, heading to the Leaf.
As his feet hit the bark of the twentieth branch, a wave of exhaustion hit him since the adrenaline rush had dissipated. That was when he realized just how worn out he was. He had used a big amount of chakra as well. Before his grip would slip and his sight would fog, he slid down the tree and onto the grass, letting his back rest against the darkish wall behind him as his breath came out in huffs.
"Naruto?" Kurama nudged him gently with his muzzle.
"I'm fine. I just need to rest a bit."
Naruto closed his eyes while his breathing steadied and his heart calmed down. He opened them only to see Kakashi and Sasuke walk towards him. The raven had a few minor scratches and bruises here and there but nothing grave. The problem was his face. He seemed to be lost inside his own mind. At that moment, Naruto knew that Itachi's plan had worked.

Sasuke's head snapped up and a small smile graced his pale lips. He took a few steps forward until he was right in front of the blond. Kakashi was standing a meter away, giving them some privacy.
Naruto's hood was down so the Uchiha could see his slightly surprised face. Then, the raven raised his arms and wrapped them around Naruto's neck, burying his face into his chest and breathing in his scent. The Jinchuriki grabbed ahold of Sasuke's waist as his chin found its way on the other's shoulder.

They didn't need any words.
Each other's presence was enough.
Naruto didn't care about staying away from the village anymore.
It was simply unimportant.

Because right there, he knew he was home.

______________________________
Heya! Sorry for the delay everyone! I've had some problems, that's why. I hope you don't mind. So here you go! Enjoy!
Next time, on Naruto Shippuden: 'Homecoming'
Vote
Comment
& Share!
~See ya!~
~Bella~
💕