Decoding

Sasuke's POV

"What does this mean?" Shikamaru scratched the back of his neck. They had been in the Cryptology office, studying the photo of Jiraiya's code, burned into Fukasaku's back for more than two hours and time was running out for them. Pain was due to arrive, in search of Naruto. All of these numbers.. They have to do with something Lord Jiraiya usually did.. What was it that he used to do except his perverted 'research'?.. Urgh! Think!

"Could they be related to the pages of something?" Flicking the photo with his fingers, Sasuke spoke up once he remembered that Jiraiya was the well-known author of the Make-Out series

"Could they be related to the pages of something?" Flicking the photo with his fingers, Sasuke spoke up once he remembered that Jiraiya was the well-known author of the Make-Out series. Dirty things those must have been.
"Interesting idea." Said a girl with blonde hair tied up in a loose ponytail. She had some weird swirl-tinged eyeglasses but Sasuke was already past that. He had actually started questioning the meaning of life when he saw her white lab coat and those freaky strands of hair standing out in random places on her head. The creepiest thing about her was that she kept eyeing Shikamaru as if she wanted to devour him. Definitely crush material. Not weird at all.

"But from what book? Even if it's from Make-Out, there're too many to check and too little time. Naruto may have left in search for him but Pain's still most likely going to target the village in order to bring him on the edge of his anger and thus, making him easier to defeat." Shikamaru rubbed his chin, his eyes narrowed thoughtfully. He was a genius after all.
"Lord Jiraiya wouldn't have given us this coded information unless he knew there was someone who could descypher it. Someone who was close to him and probably knew him very well." The blonde pushed her glasses back onto her nose.
"Exactly, Shiho. Nice thinking." Her face turned tomato-red the moment Shikamaru complimented her. Sasuke could bet there was steam coming out of her head. He felt like face palming but an Uchiha doesn't really do those things. "Lady Hokage was close to him but she didn't seem to spend so much time with him.. It's Naruto that should know." The chunin's gaze rose up to meet the raven's as if he knew that they were thinking about the same thing. And maybe he actually did.

"But he's not here." Sasuke muttered while his eyes lingered on the photo. Unless.. Oh hell no!
Shikamaru gave him a sympathetic look, the corner of his lips curling lazily.
"How troublesome.. I don't like it any more than you do, but he's our only shot." Sasuke closed his eyes in defeat, clenching his fists with frustration. He knew it had to be done.
"You go get him. He wouldn't listen to me after I threatened him three times." He said.
"He knows that out of all of us, you're the closest to Naruto. He might feel more comfortable with you, even though you clearly can't stand him." The Nara's voice grew serious. Sasuke sighed heavily, his hand reaching out to do a simple hand sign.
"I hate you." The Uchiha hissed.
"No, you don't. You hate the fact that I'm right." Shikamaru rubbed his temples, sleep deprivation visible in the purple bags under his tired eyes. He was lazy as it is, and the few hours of rest didn't quite help him.

A few minutes later, a knock was heard from the other side of the door. Sasuke groaned inwardly, rolling his coal-black eyes while Shikamaru let out a loud breath.
"Come in." Shiho entwined her slender fingers. The door knob rotated with a small 'click' until the door opened to reveal the face Sasuke least wanted to see. Even if he were to be in a dire situation, he would never ask for his help. No, scratch that. He wouldn't even accept his help. Why? Pure intuition and a bit of jealousy.
"I had a feeling you'd need my help." Shikamaru put a hand on Sasuke's shoulder before he could jump on him and snap his neck.
"Don't get ahead of yourself. This is a one-time thing." The raven spoke through gritted teeth. Haru only smiled sweetly, his teasing blue eyes closing slowly as if he was saying 'I dare you fucking try anything'. That only fueled Sasuke's anger towards the boy.