Clash Of Clans

Naruto's POV

*Slip*

"Eeek!" Takao shrieked quietly as he felt his foot slip, all of his weight falling into the dark sea of lush greenery. Naruto quickly lashed out and grabbed his right arm before steadying him on a branch and returning to their pace. Some Oharo threw weird looks at them but they didn't even bother themselves with that matter. No matter what Ryoko had claimed before them, suspicion was still hanging heavily in the cold evening air.

The Oharo had pretty much figured that the Mukami would be attacking from the shadows, when they'd supposedly be sleeping so once they had reached the canyon, the only thing left to do would be to wait.
"Focus." The Jinchuriki whispered in the other's ear with a stern voice which made a mental note inside Takao's head. The Oharo nodded weakly as his sad gaze moved onto something in front of them.
"He won't be able to fight like this." Naruto sighed inwardly.

"And you're concerned because you don't want him to die." Kurama's reply had him hesitant for a second. But the giant fox knew him better than anyone else so the blond didn't even try to hide it from him.
"Yeah. I don't. I've gotten attached to someone in less than four days. Hn, I must be getting soft." He rubbed his temples in the Tailed Beast psyche.
"No, you aren't. You're just human, kit." Kurama sniffed the top of his head affectionately, to which Naruto closed his eyes and let the fox's warm breath surround him in a comfortable silence.
"If he can't get his mind off of Aoi then he'll most likely get injured." Naruto sighed again. "That bastard's planning something. And I have a feeling he's been using Takao for it."

The Oharo had been unfocused ever since Aoi had snapped at him. Naruto wasn't really trying to pry into their conversation or anything, but he did end up sneaking in front of Takao's room and pressing his ear against the door. And it wasn't necessary anyway. Anyone could have easily heard their yells even from the Hidden Stone.

"I agree. But we don't know what he's up to and nor do we have the time to find out. This whole Oharo thing is gonna end today." Kurama nudged him gently, brushing his muzzle against the blond's torso. Naruto petted his head before returning to the real world. Takao's eyes were still fixed on Aoi's slowly fading back. And unexpectedly, Naruto was starting to feel bad for him. Thinking about it, he could understand him perfectly. Their situation was no different from Sasuke's and his. The Uchiha chasing constantly after his best friend only to see him delve deeper into his own shadows. Maybe the feelings involved were a bit different, but there was one thought Naruto was sure that he and Takao shared. Everything that was going on between Sasuke and him, Takao and Aoi.. It hurt.

Naruto glanced in the Oharo's direction once more before he let the storm in his mind calm down. He had to focus and complete the mission. Otherwise, everything he, Kou and Nawaki had fought for would only be in vain. And that was the last thing the Jinchuriki would allow to happen. Of course, after Sasuke getting hurt, that is.
"We're here. From here on out, we'll proceed quietly and cautiously. The Mukami are due to launch an ambush but we must appear to have been unaware, understood?" Ryoko's raspy voice was barely audible with all of the wind raging in the shinobi's ears.
Low murmurs of 'yes, sir' and 'of course' were heard and the mighty Oharo couldn't help himself but show a satisfied smirk. One that couldn't bring anything good.

There. Naruto's eyes narrowed slightly as he observed Aoi's reaction throughly. The grey-eyed man seemed more than displeased when he had to force out an 'yeah' through gritted teeth. He despises Ryoko. Interesting.
"Team Beta, move out. Make sure to surround the very edges of the canyon and stay undetected. Attack on my signal." Ryoko smiled viciously as a half of the Oharo Clan shinobi dissipated into the trees. "The Mukami Clan won't even know what hit them."
If you truly want to think so, then be my guest. Naruto almost let out a small chuckle but stopped himself just in time. The Oharo were completely wrapped around his finger. "Team Alpha, let's get this show started." The shinobi suddenly got some more speed as they jumped from branch to branch, their blood pumping with excitement. A sick kind of one.