The Calm After The Storm

Naruto's POV

I'm sorry. For everything. Maybe there was something I could have done. But I.. I don't know what. Naruto brushed his fingers along the partially smooth and cold surface of the tombstone in front of his dead pools of blue, still feeling the rough edges and imperfections even through his black gloves. He had kneeled down, his right knee pressed against the frosty ground. Although it was late summer, the weather was more than unpleasant, which fit the graveyard-in-becoming even better. The blond sighed softly as he closed his eyes with the image of his temporary friend's lifeless body laying limply, fresh in his mind.

He tensed up as a hesitant hand found its place on his shoulder, the warmth it passed onto him seeming somewhat refreshing with the unwelcoming smell of death emanated from the corpses around him, everywhere in the cold air. As memories returned to him, Naruto thought of the current world to be something more cruel than before.
"It's not your fault. It was inevitable. And he had agreed with the idea." Kou's hand trembled slightly, telling Naruto's body to relax under his touch.

"I know." The blond wanted to tell him everything that was going on inside his head, but he just couldn't. The words simply wouldn't come to him, depriving Naruto of the release of confiding in others. Gathering some more strength, that he needed very much at the time, he rose up to his feet, his gaze still fixated on the letters engraved a few inches bellow his fingers.
Takao Oharo.

Next to his grave laid the criminal avenger, his so called 'best friend', that hadn't actually managed to take the life of his brother's killer, since Naruto was still alive. Putting himself in his place, the Jinchuriki had come to the conclusion that Takao would be happy to be buried next to Aoi, even if he hadn't succeeded in beating some sense into him, regardless of having broken the raven's bones. And his, in the process.
"But you're still blaming yourself because that's just who you are, I know. You don't have to tell me. I understand." Kou smiled warmly and his gaze softened slowly as Naruto turned around to face him after throwing one last look at Takao's grave, while leaving his hand that had been resting of the tombstone to fall along his right side. The corners of his lips turned into a small, genuine smile and gratefulness was written all over his face. And although it was hidden by his hood, Naruto was sure that the brunet had caught the passing emotion. He just had to.

Around them, Leaf shinobi were gathering the corpses and digging proper graves for them, even though the criminals didn't deserve it. And Sasuke didn't quite like that. He was leaning against a tree, two meters behind the Jinchuriki, with Sakura and Kakashi at his sides. He had to suppress a frown when he caught a glimpse of Naruto's dead eyes. The pinkette saw his clenched fists and wanted to comfort him, but she didn't know how. Sasuke had been colder to her especially, ever since Naruto had left. And she knew that it was her fault. Although the raven had warmed up to her, Sakura was still unsure as to how to act around him. She didn't want to lose him again. So she let her fingers brush Sasuke's left wrist in a feather-like touch, almost unnoticeable.

The Uchiha flinched slightly, his gaze falling instantly down on his hands. He looked at Sakura and closed his eyes, giving her a small, barely visible nod of appreciation. And even though the pinkhead was aware of the fact that Sasuke's heart had always belonged to someone else, being able to be his friend was more than enough for her. Looking at all three of his students, Kakashi sighed softly, his shoulders slouching.

"There are only a few more bodies left, belonging to the Mukami Clan. Naruto has asked us to bury them near our village since they were acquaintances of his. We've already received Lady Hokage's approval." Genma informed the Copy Nin as he twirled around his senbon with his tongue. The surviving Mukami had left before the Leaf ninja arrived, since they still were rogues. Their agreement with Naruto had them banned from committing any more crimes.

"I see. I suppose that you, Raidou and Iwashi will take them there using the Flying Raijin." The other Jounin nodded curtly as Kakashi spoke again. "Then I shall bring my team back to the village. Please inform Lady Tsunade that we might arrive a little later than originally planned." His gaze travelled onto Kou and Nawaki. Those two were bound to be separated from Naruto and the blond knew that all too well.

"Alright. See you there." Genma waved slightly before he called out Raidou's name, ready for departure.
"Sasuke." The young raven turned his head to the right to look at his Sensei, his emotionless mask put back on. "We need to go." Kakashi gave Naruto a look from afar but the blond was already heading towards Nawaki with Kou following him closely. The rogue glanced back to invite them to join.
Sasuke instantly got the message and walked over there along with his female teammate and superior.
"Even though I still think you've got a stick up your ass, it's been nice meeting you, Uchiha." Kou grinned widely but a small tint of sadness still was in his brown eyes.

"Hn." Sasuke smirked slightly. Although he didn't show it, he wasn't really happy to leave Kou and Nawaki. He had grown quite fond of them, especially of the brunet. And that must have been because Kou resembled so much to the Naruto he used to know. The same goofy and happy-go-lucky moron.
"Pink banshee." Kou bowed before Sakura, his voice teasing her.
"Brown idiot." The girl rolled her emerald eyes, a smile gracing her lips. Nawaki instead gently grabbed her delicate hand and kissed it, earning an amused giggle from the kunoichi. He smirked at the Oharo, who snorted in response. The spy exchanged a farewell-look with Sasuke before both his and Kou's gazes moved onto Kakashi, to whom they nodded their heads respectfully.

The Jounin scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, since he wasn't used to being treated this way. Lastly, Kou and Nawaki turned around to face Naruto. They didn't need any emotional words or anything, just a look.
Grinning softly, the Oharo raised his fist in front of him, followed by Nawaki who did the same, except he chuckled lowly at Kou's childishness. As he sighed with a smile on his lips, Naruto raised his own and bumped fists with his once-partners in crime.
"Don't start crying, Kou. I have a feeling we'll meet again, given the direction of where all of this 'Toneri and Orochimaru' thing is going." The blond's gaze softened upon seeing the brunet puff his cheeks indignantly, one more time.
"Well then, you know where to find us." Nawaki bowed his head slightly.

"And Naruto, try not to hurt the bastard. He cares a lot about you." Kou smiled at him, his eyes darting towards Sasuke, who had to hide his surprise. He did not see that coming. But Naruto only chuckled.
"I already know, you dumbass." He playfully flicked the Oharo's head before both the latter and Nawaki took a few steps backwards as they disappeared into a swirl of leaves, leaving only dust behind and a stoic Jinchuriki who exchanged a soft glance with the raven.
He knew what he had to do.

______________________________
Heya!! Another one up! I can't even believe that this is the 40th chapter. And when have I started writing this story? Last autumn or something? But the fact that it's got over 40k views and 2k votes is legit insane. Thank you guys so much for the support! It really means a lot to me, ya know? I'll post another one before I leave, probably on Thursday. I don't know when I'll be getting back, tho. We'll see!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and that none of you has cried over this 'emotional breakup'! And why am I getting a feeling that people are gonna go crazy in this chapter's comment section? Anyway,
Next time, on Naruto Shippuden:
'The Twisted Truth'
Vote
Comment
& Share!
~See ya!~
~Bella~
💕