Reconnaissance

Naruto's POV

"Halt." Sasuke, Sakura and Kakashi landed on some branches, eyeing Naruto narrowly for ordering them to stop so abruptly. They still had about fifteen minutes to get to the Village Hidden in the Snow.
Naruto scanned the surroundings before jumping down from the tree as the others followed suit.

"Why have we stopped?" Kakashi landed next to the rogue.
"I need to talk to one of my loyal.. subordinates." The Jounin raised a brow, as a sign to go into detail.
"Whenever I have a target to kill, I always check that certain person so I don't end up ending the life of someone innocent." A visible shudder ran down Sakura's spine while Sasuke lowered his head to hide his darkened face with his black bangs. Naruto kept his gaze on Kakashi even though he could easily see the raven's features with the corner of his cerulean eyes.

"I don't have the time nor do I intend to gather all that information myself. I have spies who can do that for me. Besides, you didn't actually think we'd be walking around the village and asking people about criminals feared by most, did you?" Naruto said in a monotone voice.

Kakashi simply nodded in response. The blond secured his hood, making sure that his face was entirely hidden.
"Are you sure about this, kit?" Kurama nudged him softly with his muzzle.
"Yeah. There's no need to hide him from them." The look the fox sent him was filled with worry and it asked something else.
"Stop worrying. I'm fine, bud." Kurama sighed in response.
"You've barely had any rest! Don't over exhaust yourself with your missions, Naruto." The Tailed Beast sat down, one paw over the other.

"Alright, alright." Naruto crosed his fingers before his eyes turned red again. A few seconds later, his cerulean eyes returned as a hooded figure jumped out of a bush, kneeling steadily in front of the blond with his head bowed. He managed to catch the others by surprise but Naruto barely even blinked. He was expecting him, after all.

"Lord Shadow. What can I do for you?" A sly smirk creeped up on his pale face. Sakura shivered anxiously, moving her weight from one leg to the other.
"Nawaki." Naruto nodded in response, signaling him to rise up to his feet. The spy threw a look at the Leaf shinobi, raising a brow.

"Have you returned to the Leaf, my lord?" Nawaki eyed Kakashi warily. He knew about the Copy Ninja just as well as he knew about the remaining Uchiha members.
"No. And I'm not going to do that any time soon. The Oharo Clan. What have they been doing, exactly?" He narrowed his eyes as Sasuke flinched slightly at his simple response.

"Stealing, murdering, torturing, gathering intell regarding you, Naruto." Nawaki's pale complexion gave away the fact that he was cold, a tint of pink seemingly darkening on his cheeks. He was wearing black pants while a white robe was shouldering his strong body. He didn't look like much although he was in fact an elite spy to whom Naruto could entrust top-secret documents and sometimes some lingering 'witnesses'. A different kind of criminals, nevertheless.

Naruto grimaced, an angry shadow clouding his eyes. He was blaming himself for their actions since they were trying to reach him and to make him feel pain. All of those innocent people that had to die by their hands had nothing to do with the dispute between Naruto and the Oharo Clan.

"And also, according to the rumors, yesterday, a guy managed to kill a whole group of them. One hell of a stealthy shinobi that must have been." Nawaki's eyes filled with admiration and weirdly.. Satisfaction. The blond trusted his back to him sometimes, but he never fully understood him or his disturbingly fast changing mood.

"Lead them to the hideout. I'm off to check something but I'll be back by dawn. And don't lay a finger on them, Nawaki." Naruto could still see him smirk sadistically with the corner of his left eye. Sasuke's gaze clouded upon hearing his lifeless words. He didn't want to let Naruto out of sight, no matter how strong the raven knew he was. He still felt the need to protect his former best friend.

As if he had read his thoughts, the blond gave him a soft, knowing look before mouthing 'I'll be fine', which surprised the young Uchiha, given his slightly widened eyes. Sasuke's gaze softened while the corners of his mouth curled into an incredibly small and gentle smile that only the Jinchuriki could see. Apparently, Naruto had remained the only one who could tell what was on his mind. Besides, a bond like what they had could have never be broken so easily. But only if they could swallow up their pride and admit it to themselves, that is.

With a tiny wave of his hand, Naruto disappeared into a swirl of crispy, snowy leaves as soon as his feet lifted off the ground. He found himself close to the border between the Lands, a few miles away from his companions. Naruto took a few steps as his legs sunk slightly into the thick layer of snow that crumbled underneath his weight. White puffs of steam creaked out from his pinkish lips due to the cold air surrounding him.
"You can feel his chakra signature, don't you kit?" Kurama raised his head as if he wanted to take a loot outside.
"Yeah. I knew he'd be close." Naruto felt a pang in his chest.

Suddenly, he stopped. He didn't even bother to turn around before he felt a cold, sharp edge of a katana be pressed on his throat, threatening to cut through flesh. He chuckled darkly, pain embedded into his raspy voice.
"Just as stealthy as ever, aren't you?... Itachi Uchiha."

______________________________
Hey! I'll be updating a lot more often these following weeks cuz I've realized how many chapters I'm actually gonna put! And I've gotta say, my brain's exploding with ideas and I basically have the main storyline planned out. It's very. F***. Long. Anyway! Next time, on Naruto Shippuden: 'Unbreakable Bonds'
Vote
Comment
& Share!
~See ya!~
~Bella~
💕