10

Why would this Asian kid look at me like that?

I mean, when your name is Erasmus, you must have a little self-irony.

I know something about it, being Charming.

But apparently this kid took his name very seriously and I couldn't joke about it.

It's like whenever I tried not to act awkward, I would be even more weird. It was a vicious cycle I couldn't escape.

"So, hello everyone," the teacher called everyone's attention, as I had to lean to the right in order to actually see her, for my view was obstructed by a tall, black haired guy, "I'm Ms. Wyatt, your English teacher."

From back there, she was looking like a pixel, like when a camera doesn't focus and everything's blurry, so I realized it was time for me to wear glasses.

I took them out of my pocket and put them on smoothly yet clumsily, and while I did, I felt Erasmus's eyes on me.

What are you looking at, I said in my head, getting frustrated as the judgement began, you've never seen a man wear glasses before?

When I looked up, it almost felt like the room had more light. I could finally see everything in a more clear way.

I realized that the teacher didn't look as young as I thought, she actually had wrinkles all over her cheeks.

Unfortunately, being where I was, I couldn't look at anyone's face. All I could see was the back of their heads.

I looked at Erasmus, though. Without moving my head, I only turned my eyes on him.

Unlike Ms. Wyatt, he had no wrinkles. His skin looked perfect.

"This year," Ms. Wyatt went on, "We're going to take a look at narrative writing, epic and myth, and also some literature basics. We will read something from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, but even something from Orwell's Animal Farm."

I didn't know much about Animal Farm, but I loved Romeo and Juliet. I sure as hell, though, wasn't going to say that out loud. Way to kill your reputation in ten seconds.

"To start off today," said Ms. Wyatt, "I'm going to tell you about reading and writing skills."

I don't know if it was Ms. Wyatt that was interesting, but the hour flew by really fast.

"For tomorrow," Ms. Wyatt concluded, "I want you to write about your summer holiday, so you'll read it out loud to the class."

Aw, come on.

I walked by everyone to get to Andrew. Apparently, except for Erasmus and another guy, they were all taller than me.

"Jesus,"  I reached Andrew, who still looked obsessed with that girl, "First day and we already have homework to do?"

Andrew looked at me like he was saying Go away with his eyes, but the girl with the curly hair turned to me and said "I know right!"

I forgot to take off my glasses, so I was afraid I would look dumb to her, but that wasn't entirely bad, since it allowed me to get a pretty good idea of how that girl looked.