13

The next morning I noticed that days were starting to get colder. There was no trace of sunlight, and the horizon was covered in a thick fog.

I had to put on a sweater, a grey one, over a plain white t-shirt.

When I approached the bus stop, Andrew was there, as usual, although, with that fog, I could only see his silhouette. Ever since he started to act that way, things were so tense between us. It felt like he was a complete different guy.

When I reached him, I was shocked to see his new haircut. He had a buzz cut, and his beard was way too noticeable at that point. He looked older than he was. Much older. Like, twenty-seven. But it also made him look slimmer, somehow.

"Nice haircut," I said, looking at the street.

"I needed it," he said in a cold, detached way.

"You heard about Josh and Amber?" I asked, unsure if I had to bring that up. I didn't know if Amber told me to keep it as a secret, but I didn't think about this before asking him.

"I did," he said, and I felt relieved. I really didn't need to lose the nearest thing I had to a friend in that school.

"So how do you feel about it?" I kept talking, even though it seemed like he didn't even want to look at me.

"I feel like telling you that you still shouldn't talk to her," he raised his voice a little.

"You know what's bugging me right now?" I started to feel really nervous, "You wanted me to come to this school so bad. I thought you wanted to have a friend in there, not someone to target to feel cool."

His eyes looked at me for the first time that morning. They looked cold and heartless. What happened to him?

"And besides," I kept talking, "You even said we were going to sit together. But the first pretty girl you see and I'm but a memory?"

"I wanted to have you with me in this school so I could have a friend, that's right," he said, and I felt like he was advancing towards me while talking, "But I never wanted you to be my only friend. You were the backup plan, alright? I was going to try to make new friends, score with some girls, and if that meant leaving you behind, then whatever? It was a good thing for you too! So you could make some friends yourself, without me as your tag team partner!"

I was shocked by how his stupid brain worked.

"What kind of person thinks like that?" I lowered my voice, I almost didn't want to be heard, "I was a 'backup plan'? You know, I thought we were going to make friends together. Not separately. Just admit that you're worried people would think you're a loser if they see you with me. And spare me that selfless shit, you're not allowing me to have new friends, as you can see with Amber!"

"You see, Peter," the way he said my name let out all the contempt and hatred he felt towards me, "You are a loser. You've always been. All your life. And I was one too. Until high school! That's a new beginning. And I don't want to be a loser like you anymore! I don't want to be with a loser like you anymore."

"And couldn't you think about that before you dragged me into this shit?" I said with a cracking voice, feeling the tears building up in my eyes, biting my lips, pouting, "You're the only reason why I'm in this fucking school. I don't even like it. I don't like anyone in this school. Why would you do this to me?"

"This would have happened to you anyway," his voice now scaring me, "Even if you went to Forest Hills High School. You are that kind of loser that has no possible way of redemption. I'm not. I was a temporary loser. My place is at the top, looking down on guys like you. And for the last time, stop getting on my way with Amber. Don't talk to her. Don't even look at her. Or, I swear to God, I'll put the entire school against you."

The bus arrived, he went to the last seats, sitting next to a stranger. Leaving me, once again, standing, unsure of where to sit. I sat next to an old lady, put my backpack on the floor and then reached it with my head as I didn't want anyone to see me cry.

I watched my tears falling on the backpack, and felt a pain in my throat the whole time. I wanted to scream. I wanted to take a pillow and scream in it.

But I couldn't. And I felt his eyes still looking at me from behind. I didn't want him to see what he was doing to me. How weak I was. But I had a feeling that he already knew.

***

Very short but very intense chapter. Hope you enjoyed the hell out of it! If you did, please take a moment to VOTE. It would mean lots to me. Thanks!

***

See you all next week with Chapter 14!

***