25

The day after holidays with family was the best.

The night before, I'd return home and throw myself into the bed and just sleep the whole night and the whole morning.

And then, the whole day was about doing absolutely nothing. No one around me, no sound but the silence. Some days being alone makes me appreciate life more.

That day, though, I wasn't really alone, but I was joined by two people who I appreciated having around anyway.

First, not joining me physically, was Evelyn in the early afternoon. We had a hour-long call on the phone. We talked about our holidays. She too had spent it with family, but, unlike me, she appreciated being around them and she was really the one carrying the conversation with grandparents and uncles and aunts. Then we talked about the usual wrestling, what we'd expect from the new year, and we made plans and promises for it. And I felt happy and she felt happy.

"I wish we'll meet some day," she said to me, "like, for real. So we could hang out as proper friends, go shopping maybe, and act dumb together."

"I would love that," I said and I was excited.

"I really love you, Avsam," she said, "you're very important to me."

Of course, I felt like dancing, but I tried to keep cool and said "I love you too, Avsam. You are my best friend as well."

One thing I like to do is vote my years. Ever since I was ten I'd been voting how my year had been. Like 2010 was a pretty good year, but nothing really special happened so I gave it a 7.

Until a few months back, I honestly thought 2011 was going to get a negative vote (like 2008, the year I started middle school, got 5), but the last few months really made it possibly the best year of my life yet.

My first kiss, my first real best friend, and saying 'I love you' with a girl (and having it said back), was enough to make me forget about all I had to go through with Andrew and Josh.

2011 was going to get a 9. I was pretty sure of that.

• — • — • — • — • — • — • — •

A little bit later, closer to the evening, Tyler decided to come to my house.

If it were someone else, I would have been pissed, but since it was Tyler, I was glad that he was there.

We both sat on my bed and watched Dragon Ball Z on the TV, an anime we both loved so much, and we lost track of the time as we started talking about personal stuff.

"Her name is Evelyn," I whispered, "she's from Cleveland and she's awesome."

He raised his eyebrows. "Woah, Cleveland!"

I shushed him. "Yeah. Please don't tell mom."

"Don't worry," he chuckled, "what happens in Cleveland stays in Cleveland."

"I trust you."

"So you like her?" he asked.

"I do," I answered.

"But, do you like her as a friend or...?"

"I don't really know yet," I said, "I mean, I love how things are right now... it's still more than I've ever had in my life... a girl best friend. But sometimes I do think about her that way... you know."