I : Left Behind

Chapter One

Chapter One

Left Behind

The howl of the wolves jolted Elizabeth awake.

Dazed and confused, with nothing but a significant throbbing pain in her head that was causing everything to appear fuzzy and dark, Elizabeth had absolutely no clue where she was. What was she doing here? What was going on? As she pushed herself up from the ground into a sitting position, her sight slowly began to return and a white, snowy forest started piecing itself together. The teenager gave a cry of pain her head began to feel as if electricity was being shot through it and memories started flooding back.

A castle surrounded by a frozen lake.

Cries from her sister.

The Witch's flashes of white and blue.

The wolves snarling fangs.

A wand encased in ice.

Fatal blood encasing her brother.

Fleeing into the woods.

In a panic, Elizabeth, scanned the woods for any sign of her brother nearby, as he could not have gotten that far. The last thing she could remember was the two of them sprinting away from the Witch's castle, and because of this, the Witch had sent the wolves after them.

No matter how hard she looked, there was no sign of her brother anywhere.

Not only was Elizabeth covered in snow, but the cold was also starting to seep into her clothing. As she tried to stand, the pain in her forehead made it feel as if her head was going to explode, and black spots kept flashing into her vision. Wincing from the pain, she pulled her hand to her forehead and was shocked to see the blood covering her hand. Elizabeth had to have sliced her forehead open on something when she tripped and fell to the ground. That must have been what caused her to blackout in the first place. No wonder after passing out, she couldn't remember where she was.

Even worse, she couldn't remember where her brother was.

Frantically looking around for any clue as to where Digory, her brother, could be or where she was, the panic was quickly starting to set in. There was no telling where Digory was, where the wolves were. Who knows how long she had been unconscious on the ground. At this rate, the wolves could be somewhere nearby, having more than enough time to catch up to her considering she wasn't having any luck finding her brother. She was lucky that she did find a lantern in the corner behind a shroud of trees that struck a familiar chord within her.

Before thinking twice, she bolted in the direction of the lantern. Elizabeth's legs felt as if they were on fire, and her head certainly was not making the situation any better. As she was hitting branches and bushes, she couldn't care less what all she had to endure to make it to the lantern. Once she could at least make it there, hopefully, she could find her way back.