XII : Jadis, Queen of Narnia

Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Jadis, Queen of Narnia

Lucy laid in bed staring at her candle on the table that was still lit. She watched as it the fire flicked back and forth. Susan was asleep in the bed beside her but Lucy was wide awake.

She was unable to fall asleep. Lucy couldn't stop thinking about the world inside the wardrobe. The faun she had met and Narnia with all its snow covered forests. Why couldn't her siblings see Narnia? One minute the wardrobe led her to another world and the next it shut her siblings out. It didn't make sense to her. Peter and Susan had utterly dropped the topic due to their attention lying with the strange photographs and articles they had discovered in the other room. Edmund, however, used every chance he could to mock Lucy and her so-called "imaginary" world in the wardrobe.

As she laid awake in bed she continued to think of Narnia. How she desperately wanted to go back and she her new friend and the world she had discovered. But what if she couldn't get back seeing as her siblings were unable to get in. Or what if she really had imagined it? No, she thought to herself. There was no way she imagined hours of events within a matter of seconds hiding like her siblings thought she had. Lying in bed she finally made up her mind as she stared at the candle. She was going to try and go back.

Upon making this decision, she sat up in bed as she took the candle in her hands, Lucy stood up from the bed and as she put her boots on her feet she made her way from the room. She didn't need help to find the spare room, she had thought about it so much that she knew exactly where she was headed.

Edmund was in the restroom washing his hands. Once he finished he opened the door and tied his robe back around his waist. When he looked up at the hallway, he saw his little sister walking down the hallway with a candle in her hand. She looked as if she was on a mission. A coy smile spread across his face. He knew where she was going, she was going back to the room with the wardrobe. Edmund followed his sister quietly so as not to be discovered, and trailed behind her. It was time to see what Lucy was imagining and he could finally prove how crazy he thought she was.

Little kids were always quite frustrating with their imaginations and alternate worlds. This would tip Edmund over the edge to hear about Lucy's fantasies all the time and have Susan, Peter and their mum encouraging it all the time. It was ridiculous and Edmund had had enough.

Lucy, who was unaware she was being followed, headed straight towards the wardrobe. Upon reaching the spare room that contained the wardrobe, she waltzed straight up to the wardrobe. With the candle still in her hand she let the light flicker over the carvings etched across the wardrobe as she stared at it.

What if her siblings were right? What if she had only been imagining everything that had occurred? No, that just couldn't have been possible. She knew what had happened was real and her siblings couldn't convince her otherwise. Lucy then turned the smile doorknob on the wardrobe and carefully opened the door.