XVII : Ice Castles and Wolf Armies

Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Ice Castles and Wolf Armies

The castle was basically the same temperature as it was outside. Instead of seeming like a nice cozy castle, it turned out to be dark and cold.

Edmund walked through the castle with his hands pulling his arms close trying to warm himself. Inside, the castle seemed to be snowing. The ground was covered in snow and it was falling all around him. However, the snow and cold were not what really caught Edmund's attention, it was the statues. The castle was covered in them. Big ones, small ones, weird ones, cool ones, the castle had them all. From birds to tigers, to fauns and giants, the statues almost appeared to be trophies. All of the statues either contained a terrified, angry, or sad face as if something terrible was happening.

There were no warm and fuzzy feelings upon entering the castle. Instead, Edmund felt uncomfortable and even nervous at what was laid out before him. The castle was terrifying, even uninviting according to Edmund. There was a tree even growing within the castle! He wasn't feeling all at home like the Queen made the castle seem when he first met her. If he didn't know any better, he would think this was a courtyard instead of the castle itself.

Although the statues were intimidating they were also interesting. Edmund almost even thought they were cool looking, with all the various types of statues. As he walked through the room, he stepped on a pile of sticks that were burnt. It must have been a small fire before and now just a little stubbles with charred coal on them. When he looked up, there was a statue of a lioness bearing her teeth in a roar. Edmund picked up one of the sticks and brushed off the snow from the lioness head and face. He then drew two circles around her eyes and a mustache across her nose. Smiling, he looked at his masterpiece with amusement. Then, he continued on throughout the room coming upon a black gothic gate. On his way towards the gate, there was a step with a statue of a wolf that appeared to be sleeping. Edmund stepped over the wolf and didn't seem to notice its face turn into a scowl as he did so.

What he thought had been a statue turned out to be a real life wolf that jumped up with a bark and pinned Edmund to the ground as it growled at him.

"Be still stranger or you'll never move again." It growled at him, bearing its fangs. "Who are you?"

"I'm Edmund!" Edmund cried out at the wolf. The creature had taken him completely by surprise and was now on top of him, leaving him helpless and trapped. "I met the Queen in the woods! She told me to come back here!" He continued to try and convince the wolf as he sneered and made a funny face hearing Edmund's excuse that the Queen actually told him to come.

"I'm a Son of Adam!" Edmund yelled and the wolf's eyes grew big for a split second.

"Hmm. My apologies, a fortunate favor of the Queen." The wolf said as he stepped off of Edmund and snickered at him. "Or else, not so fortunate."