II : Meeting the Lion

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Meeting the Lion

Elizabeth blinked open her eyes and started to look around her. For a second, it almost seemed as if she was soaring in the clouds. She smiled looking at the clouds beside her. Then her eyes began to widen and she bolted up until she realized she was flying on the back of the gryphon and gripped the creature tighter so she wouldn't fall off after jumping up.

She had fallen asleep, for who knows how long. Of course, it wasn't as if she could recognize anything either, she had only been in this world for a couple of days. How long had she been asleep? She began to panic a little on the back of the gryphon. Where was it taking her? Who was it taking her to? It wasn't like she could just get off either; she would have to stay on the gryphon until it decided to let her off and this frightened her.

The gryphon began a descent below the clouds and now she was able to see the view down below. To say it was beautiful was an understatement, the view was absolutely incredible. Crystal blue water raced below along with lush green hills covered with all different types of flowers along with various trees. The snow must not have affected this area. They must have flown for a long time to be far away from the Witch's winter storm. A strong gust of wind sent flower petals shooting straight into the sky towards where Elizabeth was soaring on the back of the gryphon. The petals, once having reached them, looked almost humanistic as they giggled and waved to Elizabeth. At first, she just stared at the creatures wondering what they were before smiling at them and waving back. The flower petals giggling once more and then left Elizabeth and the gryphon before coasting along with the wind back towards the ground. Looking beyond the clear blue water, Elizabeth could barely make out what looked like a castle on a cliffside. From what she could see the castle was enormous and quite a sight to look at. It contained numerous towers, looking like it covered most of the mountain side. She wondered who possibly lived there.

Suddenly, the gryphon shot towards the ground in a rapid descent and Elizabeth had to grip the creature's feathers tight in order to stay on. It seemed as if the creature was flying towards the castle. Her heart began to beat faster the closer they got. What if the Queen was there? The gryphon noticed her squirming on his back and tilted his head to look at her. "Don't worry, you'll be safe here," he reassured her.

Elizabeth almost fell off right then and there. Did this thing just talk? Immediately she began screaming and trying to hop off the animal, at least she was closer to the ground now so she might actually survive the fall. "Will you stop squirming?" The gryphon begged. "Honestly, I fly you all the way here and all you can do is thank me by shrieking at me?"

Elizabeth's eyes were as big as saucers. "Y-you can t-talk...?" She timidly asked him while she stopped squirming for a moment.

"Of course I can talk, where have you been for the last thousand years or so?" The gryphon said with a hint of annoyance in his voice.