VII : Evacuating London

Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Evacuating London

The planes could be heard from miles away. The sound of their long drone sound pierced the silent night sky of London. The German aircraft was sent for their annual nightly bombing in what was known as 'The Blitz'. These night attacks were designed specifically to target civilian populations to terrorize and disrupt their usual activities, an attempt to strike fear into the British. Although one certain boy was unaffected by these raids, instead he found them particularly entertaining. His face was plastered on a window in his house, watching as the German planes flew by the house in fascination.

"Edmund!" His mother screamed at him seeing him at the window. He should not be anywhere near the planes, let alone not in bed asleep. "Get away from there!"

She rushed into the room and grabbed him, pulling him away from the window. "Peter!" She yelled as she placed Edmund on the ground and grabbed the curtains on the window ripping them shut. "What do you think you're doing?" She reprimanded Edmund as she grabbed his shoulders shaking him.

Hearing his mother shout his name, Peter came running into the room, the night raids had become a typical routine in this household and he was used to having to get the family together during the bombing. When his mother saw Peter come in she handed Edmund to him and Peter took one of his brother's arms. "Peter quickly, the shelter. Now!"

"Come on!" Peter yelled at Edmund, pulling his arm with him as he started to leave the room.

"Wait!" Edmund cried out as he tried reaching for something on the table.

With no time to wait, Peter ignored his brother's plea and continued hurrying them out of the room. "Come on, leave it!" He told Edmund as they left. Before their mom left the room, however, she had time to grab a blanket off of the armchair and their flashlight off the couch, knowing they would later need it down in the bunker.

Susan was woken up abruptly by the sound of a bomb hitting a house a couple of miles away from them. She knew this was no drill and immediately jumped from her bed and throwing her shoes on she then grabbed a blanket and flashlight before hurrying out of her room. The whole house was dark; the electricity must have been knocked out due to a bomb hitting the power lines. She turned on her flashlight so she could see throughout the hallways and be knowing she might be yelled at later for this, she turned back to grab a book from the nightstand in the room beside her. On her way there, she thought she could hear her sister crying for their mother inside her room, but she couldn't really tell because of the loud sounds of the planes outside. As she rushed into the room she grabbed the book off the nightstand and turned her flashlight towards the bed to see her sister still lying in bed with her hands over her ears.

"Lucy, come on!" Susan screamed at her sister in horror at the fact that she was still in bed while there were bombings all around them. She grabbed her sister's hand helping her out of her bed and together they ran from the house and on the way ran into their mother, Peter, and Edmund.