XXXIV: Family of Three

Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter Thirty Four

Family of Three

The High Queen's royal crown glinted in the torchlight as she glided along the cool marble within the great hall of Cair Paravel. Her pink gown with silver embroidery draped along the floor and she did well to keep it hiked up in the front to keep from stepping on it and falling on her face in front of everyone.

She was a Queen, and Queen's do not fall on their faces during galas.

The music was absolutely booming as the great hall was filled with soft lighting and colorful fabrics as many of the guests were dancing with the music. The Monarchs of Narnia were attempting to establish diplomatic relations with the people of Calormen, a large country to the southeast of Narnia. Susan had planned gala after gala in their honor, and while Elizabeth was typically all for a royal gala, the festivities were the last thing on her mind right now.

Instead, the High Queen was busy searching around the grand room, weaving her way through the bright reds and yellows and the smooth blues and silvers. However, a young handsome Prince adorned in an excessive amount of bangles of every sort approached the High Queen, stopping her in her tracks hoping he could steal a word with her for a moment.

"Your Majesty!" The Prince bowed low at her feet but Elizabeth didn't even take a moment to look at him as she continued to search the room. "I was hoping you knew where Queen Susan is? I really would like to have a word with her," The Prince smiled expectantly at Elizabeth who finally stopped searching for a moment and gave the Prince an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry, Prince Rabadash, but I have no idea where Queen Susan is at this moment. You may have better luck asking King Peter," Elizabeth said with false pity in her voice before catching a lock of brown hair. "Lucy!" Elizabeth graciously yelled before immediately being greeted by jubilant eyes as Lucy made her way over to them.

"Prince Rabadash, Queen Lucy" Elizabeth introduced as Lucy only smiled brightly at the Prince, grabbing the Prince's hand and shaking it enthusiastically to the point Elizabeth was worried she might actually manage to shake the Prince's crown off. "Perhaps Queen Lucy can help you find her sister," Elizabeth falsely smiled, practically prying Lucy's hand from the Prince's.

"I hope you're enjoying the gala," Lucy grinned in a soft, almost musical voice.

"If you'll both excuse me, I too am looking for someone and am having trouble finding them," Elizabeth quickly excused herself, vanishing before even waiting for a reply.

Only moments later, Elizabeth found Peter practically hiding on the dais, looking quite harassed as he sat upon his throne still smiling courteously at the giggling women at his side, no doubt each one vying for his attention as they watched him with eager, greedy eyes. Of course, it hardly came as a shock, lines of pretty, available girls always stood ready to try and entice Peter but unfortunately for all of them, there had never been any luck. As she made her way across the dance floor, Elizabeth was sure she caught a glimpse of Susan moving gracefully with some Carlomen lord and while she held a polite, dazzling smile on her face, Elizabeth knew all too well Susan was not actually paying any mind to her dance partner.