XX : The Gift of Christmas

Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

The Gift of Christmas

"Now Aslan's camp is near the Stone Table just across the frozen river," Beaver explained to the Pevensies. The five had been trekking across the snow all day in an effort to reach Aslan's camp and escape the White Witch unnoticed.

"River?" Peter asked hoping the beaver was not implying what he thought Beaver was.

"The river's been frozen solid for a hundred years," Mrs. Beaver explained in a cheerful voice.

Peter and Susan exchanged a look, not feeling as joyful as everyone else. "It's so far," Peter exclaimed in a dreary voice as he looked back at the sight in front of them.

"It's the world dear, did you expect it to be small?" Mrs. Beaver asked with a laugh.

A good hour later, the five found themselves walking across a field of snow that went on for at least two miles. About half a mile left to go and exhaustion was taking over the Pevensie children. They hadn't hiked this far and for this long before in their lives, especially on this low of nutrition as well. The fact that Lucy was only ten didn't make matters any better. The beavers were trying to encourage them to go faster but nothing at this point would get their feet moving any quicker.

"If he tells us to hurry one more time, I'm gonna turn him into a big fluffy hat," Peter exclaimed as he picked up Lucy and placed her on his back while Susan just laughed at his comment.

"Hurry up, come on!" Beaver shouted on them, with a little more exasperation etched into his tone.

Lucy just groaned at his remark. "He is getting to be a little bossy," she stated while her siblings nodded their agreement.

"No!" Mrs. Beaver practically screamed at them. "Behind you! It's her!"

The siblings turned to look behind them and could barely make out the sight of animals sprinting across the snow towards them with something on their backs. If you listened closely you could hear the slight jingle of bells.

"Run!" Beaver screamed and the five sprinted across the remainder of the field.

Peter practically tossed Lucy off his back so she could run. In an effort to escape, their exhaustion was of no help to any of them. Instead, it only made the rush that much more dreadful and draining. Occasionally they would lose their footing in the snow and stumble around in an effort to regain their balance. The sprint across the snow was heart racing and breathtaking. Sure they may have had a head start, but sprinting reindeer were surely faster than the five of them combined. The further they felt like they were making, the faster the reindeer seemed to be approaching. At the end of the field was a forest, and without taking a second guess, the five jumped into the forest to hide.

They ran to a boulder with a small cave underneath and Beaver screaming at them trying to tell them what to do. With all the confusion and adrenaline rushes it was hard for anyone to concentrate. Somehow, though, all five made it safely into the cave and sat in silence for what lied behind them. After a few seconds, the sound of jingle bells and hoof prints ceased and the woods went into complete silence. The children all held their breath to make sure no one would hear them. The sound of footsteps could be heard above them when all of a sudden a sparkle of snow fell from above them and they could see a shadow of a figure standing above them. No one dared move a muscle.