VIII : Behind the Cloth

Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Behind the Cloth

'Coombe Halt' the sign on the platform read. The four siblings just stood in silence staring at the sign. The train had left moments ago and they were now left to wait for the owner of the house they were staying at. So far, on all the stops they had been on, all the families that were keeping children had been waiting at the station for the kids. Except for the Pevensie's family, it looked as if they had forgotten to get them.

Then they heard the sound of a car coming from down the road and the four grabbed their luggage, racing down the platform to the road to great the car. The car only honked at them as they passed by, not even slowing down.

The siblings all stood on the side of the road in silence. As they stood looking down the street for any sign of someone on their way, Susan was the first to break the silence. "The professor knew we were coming," She stated looking to Peter.

"Perhaps we've been incorrectly labeled," Edmund muttered lifting his ticket to his face so he could look at what it said.

"Come on, hup!" They heard someone shouting from down the road. The siblings turned to the sound of the voice and at first there was nothing there. Then, a few moments later, a horse drawn carriage came pulling into view. A woman in her mid-forties was behind the horse with a long stern whip in her hands. "And whoa, whoa." The woman told the horse as it came to a stop right in front of the Pevensies. Lucy took one look up at the horse and took a step back behind her sister.

Upon a closer look at the woman driving the carriage, she had her hair in a French braid down her back and a hat on top of her head. She also wore glasses and had a very stern look on her face as she looked down at the Pevensie children. Peter and Susan exchanged a quick look before turning back to the woman. "Mrs. Macready?" Peter asked the woman raising an eyebrow.

"I'm afraid so," She said still staring at the children with the same cold look. Peter and Susan looked stunned while Edmund had a grin plastered across his face. Lucy was still currently hiding behind Susan, peaking out at Mrs. Macready.

"Is this it then?" Mrs. Macready asked them observing their luggage. "Haven't you brought anything else?" She asked with a slightly confused look quickly crossing her face before returning to her stern look.

"No ma'am," Peter made out. "It's just us," he stated looking at his siblings around him. Lucy popped out from behind Susan nodding repeatedly at Mrs. Macready.

"Small favors," Mrs. Macready said as she made a quick tilt of her head towards the back of the carriage motioning for the siblings to hop in.

The Pevensies made no arguments and did as they were told. They picked up their luggage and all hopped into the back with Peter picking Lucy up and placing her on it. Before they could get settled down, Mrs. Macready was already off towards the house.