III : The Centaur, the Faun, and the Tiger

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The Centaur, the Faun, and the Tiger

Aslan and Elizabeth had continued along the beach for a while longer while Aslan told her stories of Narnia. Elizabeth was intrigued by the stories. Filled with magic and fantasy grew her imagination and erased the line between reality and fiction. He also told her about the deep magic which was a set of laws placed into Narnia by the Emperor-beyond-the-Sea, which was Aslan's father. It was written on the Stone Table in the central Narnian mainland around the time of the creation of Narnia. The more Elizabeth learned, the more she came to love this land.

These first few days spent in Narnia all seemed to blur together. Aslan took her around the Lone Islands and Elizabeth saw many creatures she had no idea existed. Naiads or river nymphs would swim in the oceans and loved to see Elizabeth, a daughter of Eve, they were extremely fascinated by her. The dryads or wood nymphs were just as fascinated with Elizabeth as the Naiads, always waving and giggling to her when passing her and Aslan.

The Lone Islands were pleasant seeing as Jadis' winter storm didn't affect them. Although that was mainly due to the fact that wherever Aslan was present, the winter storm was not. Either way, the seasons on the islands were very different than what Elizabeth had ever experienced but no less pleasant.

One of these on the island of Avra, the smallest of the three islands, Elizabeth was fetching water from a river bend under the hill where Aslan was resting. A few ways from Aslan she began playing in the water and after a few minutes of goofing around, some of the dryads came to join her. Giggling and splashing water around, Elizabeth and the wood nymphs were having a splendid time when a tiger crawled to the edge of the river to get a drink. Since arriving in Narnia and meeting all types of magical creatures, Elizabeth called out to the tiger in a friendly manner to say hello and introduce herself.

"Hello, there!" She called out to it, waving hysterically at the tiger.

The tiger stopped drinking and looked up at Elizabeth. Elizabeth smiled at it and waved again to it. "I'm Elizabeth! It's nice to meet you."

The wood nymphs exchanged worried glances before tugging on Elizabeth's arm trying to pull her away from the river. Confused, she pushed them off her. "What are you doing? I'm just going to introduce myself." Then Elizabeth started walking towards the tiger wanting to make another friend on the island. The dryads, giving up on stopping her, soared up the hill to where Aslan was.

The tiger just watching all of this happing began to wander closer to Elizabeth. Elizabeth just grinned at it and gave it a warm smile. "It's okay; I'm not going to hurt you." By now the tiger was a few feet away from her but still wasn't saying anything back. Elizabeth wondered if it was just shy.

Then for some reason, the tiger started snarling at her and stalking closer to her. Confused, she took a step backward away from the tiger. "What's wrong?" She asked starting to get worried.
The tiger let out a roar at her and leaped at her. Elizabeth, screaming fell to the ground and braced herself for the attack. But nothing happened. Instead, Aslan, now having been warned by the dryads, leaped over Elizabeth and landed on the tiger, roaring at it as he did so. The tiger, in fear of Aslan, lets out a whimper and retreated into the wood behind the river. Elizabeth, still on the ground, was breathing heavy and shaking out of terror.