XXVIII : Return of the Lion

Chapter Twenty Eight

Return of the Lion

There was no telling how long they had been there, the girls had fallen asleep on the furry lion and by now the sun was up. The three slowly sat up still tired and Lucy was rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

Susan looked around before looking at the other girls with a sad face. "We should go," Susan told them and as much as Elizabeth hated to admit it, Susan was right.

"I'm so cold," Lucy muttered and Susan helped the little girl down before embracing Lucy in a hug as they began to leave. Elizabeth wrapped her arm around Susan's and the girls walked arm-in-arm together while Lucy was entangled around Susan's other arm.

They made it to the end of the platform and down the first few steps when there was a large cracking and crumbling sound while the earth shook underneath them. The girls cried out as they untangled themselves rather quickly to catch themselves. Elizabeth's eyes turned quickly red as she managed to hold the girls to their staircase, making sure that Susan and Lucy didn't tumble down the stairs from the impact. The girls gripped the sides of the stone stairs they were laying on as they all exchanged rather strange looks. Susan and Elizabeth frowned at one another while Lucy looked back to the Stone Table with shock.

"Guys!" she exclaimed with wide eyes and Susan and Elizabeth whipped their heads back to see what Lucy was referring to.

When they did, their eyes widened too from the sight. The Stone Table was cracked, right down the middle. It was now standing at odd angles from the impact. They wondered what had caused the impact that cracked the stone but that wasn't their main concern. What concerned them the most, was that Aslan was no longer on the table. The lion had all but vanished entirely. Elizabeth shot up from the stairs and jumped back onto the platform as she stared in disbelief at the table. How? What? Who? All these questions raced through her head as she looked at the table.

"Where's Aslan?" Lucy asked in horror as she and Susan joined Elizabeth and Elizabeth just shook her head indicating that she had no clue.

"What have they done?" Susan exclaimed in despair.

Elizabeth looked to the sisters with wide eyes. "They wouldn't—couldn't do something like that."

The three then turned back to the table as the sun rose behind the stone arch momentarily blinding them. The girls shielded their eyes and looked away for a moment to let their eyes adjust to the new influx of light. But for some reason, something blocked the sun from their eyes and when they looked back up to see what it was they were greeted by a familiar face.

The lion stood with a bright smile underneath the arch as he looked down at the girls. All his fur was back and he had a huge fluffy mane around his neck. In fact, this time it looked even bigger and even more pretty than before if that was even possible.