XIV : Into the Wardrobe

Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Into the Wardrobe

Peter swung his arm in circles, the ball in hand and prepared to throw it. "Peter winds up, poised to take another wicket!" He yelled as he threw the ball at his younger brother. Edmund, not paying attention to Peter's racket, was hit by the flying ball right in his backside.

"Ow!" Edmund screamed grabbing his back and then looking up to glare at Peter. He totally did that on purpose. Susan, standing behind Edmund ready to catch the ball if necessary, couldn't hide the smile on her face.

"Whoops," Peter mocked him. "Wake up Dolly Daydream!" Peter smirked as Susan picked up the ball and threw it to her older brother.

It was a beautiful sunny day outside and the Pevensie siblings were outside enjoying the fresh air. After being cooped up in the house all day yesterday, Susan and Peter thought it best to enjoy the outdoors. Lucy was reading, still not quite ready to forgive her siblings, while the other siblings were playing a game of cricket.

"Why can't we play hide and seek again?" Edmund said with a snarl while Lucy glanced over at her siblings with a pout on her face under a tree before turning back to her book.

Peter rolled his eyes. Edmund was never going to enjoy anything they chose to play. "I thought you said it was a kid's game," he said throwing the ball back and forth in his hands and preparing to throw the ball once more.

"Besides," Susan finished with a smile. "We could all use the fresh air."

Edmund just glared at Susan not agreeing with her. "It's not like there isn't air inside."

"Lucky for you," Peter mumbled so Edmund couldn't hear him. "Are you ready?" He asked as he picked the grass off of the ball.

"Are you?" Edmund retorted as he hit his bat on the ground a few times and Susan squatted down into a catcher position.

Peter just shook his head before winding his arm again preparing to throw. The ball flew out of Peter's hand gracefully as he jumped up to throw it. As the ball hit the ground, once it bounced off, Edmund immediately intercepted it giving the ball a good hit. Instead of hitting the center of the bat, though, it hit the corner and bounced off the opposite side headed for the house. Lucy turned to watch where the ball would land and the siblings then watched in horror as the ball sailed for the mansion. Just as expected, the ball collided with one of the old glass windows with a stain glass impression and collided right through it.

Edmund's eyes grew huge as they heard the sound of the window shatter. Lucy just watched with big eyes and a smile forming on her face with amusement at the idea of Edmund being screamed at by Mrs. Macready. Susan, however, did not share the same view as Lucy did and stared open mouthed at the broken window. The sound of something crashing and falling down on the inside told the siblings that they had broken something inside as well as the window.