IV : Aslan's Young Sorcerer

Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Aslan's Young Sorcerer

When first asked by Oreius to train Elizabeth, the faun immediately refused. Learning magic was not something to take lightly and Mr. Tumnus deemed the girl incapable of learning. After the third request, and having still been turned down, Aslan had the faun brought to the Lone Island of Doorn where the camp was currently located.

Brought before Aslan, Aslan himself asked Mr. Tumnus to train Elizabeth once more. Before Mr. Tumnus could even finish his previous responses to why he did not want to train the girl, one roar from Aslan had the faun on his knees begging to train her.

Shortly after this encounter, Elizabeth and the gryphon that had first saved Elizabeth when she first arrived in Narnia, named Kael, flew out to Lantern Waste to where the faun lived to begin training. Elizabeth had built a close bond with Kael after he had saved her from the wolves and brought her to Aslan. She viewed him as not necessarily her pet but more like a protector dog with claws and a sharp beak. Hopping off the gryphon, Kael stayed flying nearby in order to keep an eye out in case the witch came around and he needed to get Elizabeth away from the cave and back to the camp.

Upon entering the house, Elizabeth was revealed a nice warm and cozy appearing house. A small staircase took her from the door to the main floor of the house. In the far side of the cave, there was a small dining room with what appeared to be a doorway beside it leading to a kitchen. In front of the fireplace across from the entrance to the cave was a comfy living room with an inviting looking armchair and small love couch as well. The lanterns throughout the cave made the light available in the darkness. On a wall in the corner there was a china cabinet and when Elizabeth looked at the artifacts inside it was filled with what looked like ancient objects that most have been passed down through the family for generations. A bookshelf beside the cabinet was filled with old folklores and history books about Narnia, including what almost looked like scrapbooks of the Tumnus family.

A small little table held two pictures with a tiny box and a little candle upon it. As Elizabeth observed the tiny table she looked at one of the picture frames and saw a faun in the picture staring up at her. She traced her fingers along the edge of the frame when Mr. Tumnus came into the room. He stopped short when he saw Elizabeth standing there. "Hello," he exclaimed to her. He noticed she had been staring at the picture and looked at her hand on the frame. "It's my father," he told her.

When she looked over at him she saw he wore a red scarf, the same one he wore when he was brought to Aslan. "Do you always wear that scarf?" She asked him.

Mr. Tumnus gave a warm smile towards her and let out a short laugh. "It must appear that way, although now that I think about it, all the scarves I own are red." Elizabeth smiled and laughed at this. She had a feeling they would become quick friends and quick friends they were.