IX : The Friend from the Woods

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

The Friend from the Woods

As she explored this new land she had discovered she came upon a lamp post in the middle of the woods that was lit. It wasn't dark outside but the sun was starting to go down and the lantern looked like a beacon across the forest floor.

Confused, Lucy walked up to the lantern to get a closer look. It seemed to be a random lantern in the middle of the woods. No cords were even connected to it for electricity, but the lamp was still working. She placed a hand on the black pole and found it to be cold.

A sound in the woods caused Lucy to pause in her tracks. It sounded like short little thumping sounds, and it seemed to be coming closer. Looking around for the source of the noise she couldn't see anything. She became frightened and hid behind the lantern, seeing as there was no time to run back to the wardrobe without being caught. She still couldn't see anything with the snow being so thick as it fell but heard the noise suddenly stop. Turning around she was faced with, well she didn't really know what it was.

Lucy let out a shrill scream and the creature that was holding an umbrella and some packages let out a short yell as he dropped his packages and hit the umbrella against a tree as he hid behind it. Lucy, now cowering behind the lantern peeked out from behind it to look to where the creature was just mere moments before. The creature was peeking out at her too. He seemed just as scared as she was.

Carefully making her way around the lantern, Lucy started walking towards the packages that were now covered with snow. The creature watched her as she picked up a package. He made a small sound as he poked out his umbrella towards her and making funny sounds as she offered him the package. He was now on the other side of the tree facing her, slowly coming towards her to retrieve his package. That's when Lucy saw his legs, except they weren't exactly legs. Where his legs should have been, there was a pair of goat legs. He was human from the waist up and goat from the waist down.

"Were you hiding from me?" Lucy softly asked him as she gave him his package.

The creature frowned as she asked this, still looking a little shocked at her. "No," he muttered out as he bent down to pick up the rest of his packages he had thrown into the air. "Uh, well...I just...I," The creature stuttered as he continued to stare at her and pick up his things. "No. No. I-I-I just, I was just, um...I didn't want to scare you," The creature finally finished with a deep inhale of air.

Lucy let out a slight giggle at the creature, it sure seemed like he was hiding from her. "If you don't mind my asking—" Lucy began, her curiosity taking the best of her. "—what are you?" She asked tilting her head to the side as she looked at him.

"Well, I'm a...well, I'm a faun," The creature said with a funny look crossing his face and let out a funny laugh as he stood up tall. "And what about you?" He asked returning the same odd look. "You must be some kind of beardless dwarf?" He asked looking her up and down.