Prologue

" Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell

Jimmy Rodgers on the Victrola up high

Mama's dancin' with baby on her shoulder "

  He felt so cold lying in a dank alleyway. His hand was shaking, trying to hold the gaping wound in his stomach closed. It wouldn't be long now. August Park would call this dead-end his grave. 19 years of relative peace, minor racism, and a guaranteed job of taking over the family apothecary thrown right out the Goddamn window. All he wanted was a nice night out with his so-called friends. Instead, he's stabbed to death by them. Story of his life.

  His mother and father immigrated over to the US in 1903 and had him in 04. They settled in a small house situated on a nice patch of land outside San Francisco. His father grew different herbs, flowers, fruits, and vegetables to sell and his mother often helped when he didn't require her full attention as a baby. They named him August to fit in and sent him to school. He learned English, but also his parent's native tongue. By the time he was 14 his parents made a respectable business of selling home remedies and teas from their gardens and orchards. They expanded their home, he gained 3 little brothers Autumn, who was 6 years old, 4 year old Audrey, and Aurum who was a 3-month-old baby.  They even had a modest conservatory built for him to grow his own things. His life was great up till this night. Jealousy was an ugly thing.

  The sound of clicking heels on pavement shocked August out of his thoughts. He glanced towards the entrance of the alley to see a silhouette of a woman approaching him. He squinted to try and get a better look at her but was failing miserably. His vision was already blurring. The blood loss was getting to him now.

"My you are a pretty one, for a boy that is." A husky and alluring voice said from above him. "I guess you're at least a little bit worth testing out this whole maker thing."

August finally gave in to the growing drowsiness and closed his eyes. He just wanted this to be over.

"The sun is settin' like molasses in the sky"

  August's eyes snapped open to only see darkness. His breath hitched as fear started to set in. He was alone, in the dark, and everything around him was shifting. The smell of wet earth surrounded him. He was buried in the ground. He started to panic, desperately clawing his way through dirt and forcing himself up through the shifting earth. He could feel tears starting to roll down his cheeks as his panic attack fully set it. He clawed through dirt faster and faster until he grasped air. He felt hope blossom in his chest as he pulled himself up higher. Then with a final push He broke free of his supposed grave. He looked around him to see he was in a graveyard near the small church he attended with his parents. His nerves continue to skyrocket as he tried to remember how he got buried in the first place. Had those bastards buried him? Did some passerby er take pity and bury his supposed dead body? What the fuck was happening to him?

  At that moment he realized something and paused in his mind ramblings. He shakily placed his hand upon his chest and froze. He had no heartbeat. HE HAD NO FUCKING HEARTBEAT! Something was very wrong with him. All this time he has been taking unnecessary breaths. What was he? A monster, like in his books, a spirit walking the earth perhaps. So many possibilities started to trickle into his mind that he didn't notice a figure walking up to him.

"Well, you certainly don't waste time." A voice said causing him to help around.

  Before him stood a tall and beautiful blonde woman. She practically radiated wealth and prosperity in an almost sinful way. She smirked at him before crouching before him. Her glittering beaded gown catching the light with every move she made.