Lovely

Godric lay on his back gazing up at the sky above him. The boat beneath him gently rocking from its position hitched to the pier. His childe and lover were an amusing pair when they were put together. August's and Eric's relationship was best described as a choppy sea amid a hurricane. Beautiful, rough, and heavy, with a central calm that made them perfectly suited for one another. Neither would back down from a fight willingly nor would they allow the other to run away from one. It was fascinating to see play out, like the Planet Earth documentaries August often watched with him. It was one of the things he would have missed or possibly had ruined if he had met the sun.

The lavender haired vamp had only been gone a few hours, Godric found himself missing his bubbly presence.
As if summoned by the thoughts alone, the teen vampire suddenly descended from the sky and landed on the pier. Godric took in the fearful look on his lover's face and was immediately at his side.
"Has something happened my sunshine?"
"The queen is gonna throw Eric under the bus. The magister came." August said.
Godric quickly moved to hold the panicking baby vamp's cheeks in his hands.
"It's ok August." He hushed. "You need not worry over Eric so much."
"Why not?" August whimpered leaning into the supporting arms of his lover.
"Eric knows how to work himself out of these situations. We just have to trust him and be the silent guards that cover his blind spots." Godric said moving one hand to card his fingers through light blonde locks.
August pouted at his words before burying himself into Godric's shoulder.
"I don't want to be in the shadows."
"I know my heart."
"I want to be by his side so they know he isn't alone." August breathed shakily. "So he knows that he isn't alone."
"I think Eric is well aware of our place with him." Godric smiled rocking them slowly to help calm August more. "It's that reason that makes him push us away in these situations. I've seen his best and his worst since the day I turned him. I know better than anyone what makes Eric react the way he does. If he didn't feel some kind of love for you, or me, or Pamela, he would not be doing what he is right now."
"And what's that?" August asked, lifting his head to meet Godric's warm gaze.
"Protecting his clan."
August gave the elder vampire a small smile as he stepped back out of his embrace. He tugged on the other's hands until Godric allowed himself to be led to their room. August would accept being the viking's shadow for now, but it would only be a matter of time before something forced the eternal teen to step out and play all of his cards.

———————————————————————————————

"Hey Lyle can you toss these in the dumpster out back?" August asked, tipping his head toward a pile of boxes as he carried a plastic-covered loveseat across the main floor.

"Sure!" Lyle smiled making his way to the pile after setting aside his broom. 

The younger man took a few trips to get all the boxes out but sighed in relief when he finally picked up the last one. Lyle tossed the excess packaging into the dumpster with an accomplished huff. He felt like he had become an expert at building Ikea furniture now. If only Alcide could have been around to help the process would have been infinitely more fun. Thoughts of the beautifully built man flooded his mind and almost made him miss the huddled figure leaning against the back wall of the opposite building. He took in the figures long, oily, unkempt black hair that covered their face, and a tan skin stretched taut over bony fingers clutching a dirty blanket. 

"Hey," Lyle called out softly. "You ok?"
The figure didn't move or appear to have acknowledged the ginger's call. Lyle turned to the back door of the shop and warily called for August. 

"Hey August! Can you help me out here?" 

There is shifting from inside the shop before the vampire poked his head out the door.
"What's up gingersnap?" He chirps.