Chapter six

The picture in the media is what I imagine Katherine Torres looks like.

                       •••••••

From the way Andrea was talking a little too fast, she was far more nervous than I was about this trip of mine. She had been talking since we left the house. And that was a new record even for her.

"I know I'm rambling, I'm just so scared for you. This is your first time traveling after the accident. You have never been on an airplane either, so excuse me if I'm having a major freak out session."

I rolled my eyes but she ignored me. "Erica, you need to take this seriously. I hope you took everything you need and remember to call me if anything goes wrong."

I grinned at that because my dad had said that and more, before he finally let me leave. "Yes mom, I would call if anything goes wrong."

Andrea wanted to follow me into the airport but I shook my head. "Andrea, you have to get to work soon and I don't think you need to go late. The flight is just for four hours, I would be fine. I love you, so just leave now before you start crying."

Andrea blinked back the tears in her eyes. Sniffling she said, "I love you too so don't..."

I cut her off by turning and dragging my suitcase towards the entrance of the airport. I heard her laugh and turned back to see her wave before getting into her car.

The plane ride was uneventful. I was surprisingly calm, it might have had something to do with the fact that my mind was blank and the help of headphones. Throughout the journey, I tried not to think of anything that might happen in L.A.

Lucy had already told me a driver would meet me at the airport so I wasn't surprised to see him. The driver, a man I guessed to be in his early thirties didn't speak after the polite greeting at the airport which was just perfect for me.

The drive to the mansion was amazing though, with me looking out the window and enjoying the scenery.

When we arrived at Caden's abode, I felt my jaw drop at the sight of the mansion. I never paid attention when Lucy talked about it so, I was surprised to see it. The mansion looked intimidating but it's beauty and elegance couldn't be denied.

A middle aged woman stood at the door smiling at me as I got out of the car. "Welcome, miss Erica. I'm Dorothy White, the house manager."

She narrowed her pale eyes at me as she looked me up and down. I didn't feel overtly uncomfortable but her scrutiny was weird. "You look tired, so I would take you to your room now and I will give you a tour of the mansion when you wake up."

She said it in a nice way but it still came out sounding like a command. I smiled at her and turned to pick up my bags but I saw a new guy taking the bags in. All of it — one suitcase, a hand luggage and my handbag.

I followed them in and was amazed by the interior design. Everything was professionally done and it all looked surreal to me. We went up the stairs to a room that was designed in white and black only. From the white paint on the wall, to the black color of the furniture and the black and white mattress on the bed. I loved the room's feel and the parts of the mansion I had seen.

Finally alone in the room, I checked everything and was a little disappointed at the lack of a television in the room. I took a shower and changed my clothes. I sat on the sofa in the bedroom, stretching my legs. I was about to call my dad when Andrea's call came in.

"I was just about to call you but you beat me to it." I said as soon as I picked the call.

She gave a snort. "Yeah right. I'm sure you were about to call your dad."