Chapter thirty-four

Waking up on the couch with a crick in my neck, the feeling of discomfort and pain all over my body for almost a week was enough to make me want to reverse my decision to take the couch.

Something that would make Andrea laugh and feel victorious since she had warned me but I hadn't listened to her.

I stretched my body as a loud yawn escaped me and I blinked myself awake to prepare for the day.

I looked at my phone to see that it was almost eight in the morning but no one was obviously awake yet. Not my dad, Andrea or her mom who was sleeping in Andrea's room thereby making me give up my room for Andrea.

I laughed at my thoughts though because I knew that no matter how I tried to lie about it. It wasn't anyone's fault but mine that I had been sleeping on the couch since the day Emerald, Andrea's mom, came to visit us or me and Kevin, if I was being precise.

The visit she had promised but cancelled was finally fulfilled but it was a surprise to us since it wasn't too long from when Andrea went to visit her. But she said she had planned to surprise us by coming and still continued her plans even after Andrea surprised them by going to visit last week.

Which was to put flowers on my mom's gravestone. Something that warmed my heart anew as I thought about it because I knew Andrea did it for me and that she was a true friend.

I was still angry with her though, because she stole my room and I got the couch and I hadn't slept in my room since her mom got here five days ago.

My mind's eye rolled it's eyes at my complaints and at me blaming the wrong person again because I was the one that had rejected sleeping in the same room with her even though my bed could contain us both just fine.

The nurse who occasionally slept on the couch deserved an award in my opinion because I was so regretting my decision to pick the couch rather than sleeping in the same bed with Andrea.

My reason was known to me but it was unreasonable to me at the same time and never failed to spark anger in me. So, thinking about other things was better.

My better idea was thinking about the nurse. She had been given a week off because Andrea had also taken a week off work to spend time with her mom. So, she slept home everyday. No Kevin's house for her.

Nor was Kevin allowed to come visit at home. Kevin had no real idea but Andrea was in a sticky situation because her mom wanted to meet Kevin and we both knew that it would end up bad for Kevin. Because Emerald had said that Andrea seemed interested in Kevin than other guys she had ever dated and in Emerald's opinion, she needed to meet him and question him on his attentions. Something that would scare the poor guy which Andrea was scared of and was trying to avoid.

"Good morning, baby."

Emerald's sweet voice made me look up into her smiling face with a smile of my own.

"Good morning. Mrs. Martin."

I knew I was looking for trouble by calling her that but I genuinely liked Andrea's mom even if she could be a little too much at times. Calling her Mrs Martin was trouble though, because I knew she loved being called Emerald instead of that but I still did anyway, for fun.

"I'm not going to correct you because I can see that twinkle in your eyes." She replied as she sat beside me on the couch.

A soft laughter escaped me and to which she responded with a chuckle. She grimaced though as she saw me absentmindedly rubbing the back of my neck. "Why don't you just sleep with Andrea in your room?... She doesn't snore, does she?" She asked the last bit as an afterthought and with hesitance and uncertainty.