Chapter nine

I'd known, from the look on his face — without doubt — that he had been searching for me. I guessed that Andrea and Lucy must have frustrated the life out of him.

I just continued to stare solemnly at him and as he noticed I wasn't planning on answering him anytime soon, he calmly asked his question again, without the cursing. "Erica, where have you been? People have been worried about you."

I liked that, he didn't lie, he said 'people'. Showing he wasn't a part of those people.

I doubt he searched for me though. Not because he hated me but naturally the first place he would have checked was the studio. And, Jake would have told him that I went out with Katherine and given him her number. Since Kate didn't receive any calls, he either just knew I wasn't in recently or probably never bothered to really search for me.

Rolling my eyes, I continued up the stairs throwing my next words over my shoulder. "I was at a friend's place. I would call everyone tomorrow, I'm really tired right now."

I heard footsteps climbing up the stairs behind me and turned to see Caden taking two steps at a time. I didn't have much time to process this before he caught my arm and dragged me down the stairs.

I was shocked and was trying to free myself but to no avail. He threw me on a sofa in the sitting room. I wondered what he was doing and felt a little fear at the blank my mind was drawing.

Caden went in the direction of the kitchen and after some minutes brought coffee, gesturing for me to take it. I was still confused and a little scared.

Frowning, I didn't take the coffee from him. He sighed and spoke softly. "Erica, you have to drink this, so you can be sober enough to convince your friend, Andrea, that you are still alive."

My lips twitched at his words and I ignored the mug of coffee he was offering. I closed my eyes and leaned back on the soft sofa. I heard a distant sound and guessed he must have dropped the mug on the side stool.

I didn't care to check or think much on it. I was too amazed by the softness and plush feel of the sofa — I smiled, imagining how much it must have cost. My lips twisted further as I wondered why I hadn't used it since I got here.

It was like resting on heaven in form of a sofa.

Caden tapped my arm bringing me out of my musings. "Hey, Erica!"

I scowled at the way he was continuously tapping me and shouting my name.

He scowled back and his was deeper. "Don't go sleeping on me, I need you awake. That friend of yours has been accusing me of murder. You need to get her off my back."

Laughing internally, I stood up and started moving towards the stairs again. I felt drained and all I really wanted was to lie down and sleep.

I also wanted to avoid arguing with Caden. Or talking to him at all.  

Not sparing him a glance as I walked, I couldn't see his expression but I felt his surprise at me ignoring him.

"Erica!" I ignored his loud call and continued walking, feeling happy at the way things were.

I suddenly felt his hands on my shoulders and I stiffened as he turned me around to face him. I relaxed as he removed his hands from my shoulders but flinched when he held both of my arms in a steely grip.

He pretended like he didn't notice my reaction, just ferociously stared down at me. He said nothing while looking from one of my eye to the other like he was searching for something in them.

I was uncomfortable now because he was in my personal space. Also because I'd noticed that for some reason being in the same room with Caden was ... uncomfortable but being this close was almost unbearable.

I also had a feeling he was trying to decide if I was drunk or not.

"Caden, I'm not drunk," I said simply and his eyes narrowed in disbelief.