Chapter forty-nine

Staying the night at the villa had been fun. During the day, we went to the West's mansion that was not really smaller than the Villa to me but according to all the people around me there was a difference.

It was exhilarating to spend time with all of my friends but in a different state and environment. We were all taking a holiday even if it was just for the weekend but it had the feeling of being set free especially being with Caden in front of them.

Only thing was there were the side glances and fixed amused smile from Lucca. It was like he was seeing something unusual but found it pleasant and interesting. Kevin had made a little sly comment about how we were both different in each other's company than with others.

Andrea and Lucy were giving stupid ‘discreet' winks that amused me and made me know their thoughts. They had finally made up their minds about Caden and I.

Adam's attitude won't be deliberated on because he had been carefully blank. Therefore, it was the only glitch to the day, knowing my happiness tortured a close friend.

Though right at the moment, it was time to get ready for the unexpected party and after telling Andrea and Lucy about it they had convinced everyone else to go with us.

Andrea had said it was for moral support because though she doubted there would be a scene, she knew I would be snubbed and shunned by the hosts — who would be expecting me or not, thus, would be prepared for both situations.

Kevin had been the most sceptical and reluctant about the new arrangement. He'd continuously asked Andrea if she was sure she wanted to go — that had been weird. But I'd ignored it when he'd tried to convince me not to go and when Adam told me Kevin hated Nina, Chloe's mother — for a reason he didn't know but knew made being amiable to her an effort for Kevin.

So, that made me think he was doing it more for himself than Andrea as his worry and anxiety came off as.

Because of that, I'd told Kevin not to come if he didn't want to but he'd just laughed and said he would do it for me and that he had to be there if Andrea was going to be. His last words were the weird part — he had said, “She needs me there, you too of course. Mostly you.” But his eyes had shown he was trying to hide something like he'd meant, mostly her.

I'd asked but he didn't tell me why he hated Mrs. Bennett. He had just warned that I should be careful, very very careful around her. Also, that Chloe was an angel compared to her mother.

He didn't need any more words after that.

After we knew everyone was in on it, the next thing, we went shopping for dresses to the party. Not surprisingly, Andrea's dress was the most daring. A royal blue low v-neck floor length dress that was absolutely beautiful when she tried it on.

Next was Lucy who picked a simple red sleeveless evening gown with a lace bodice.

I was in the back of the limo going to meet my friends at the party with an open back high-neck-fit-and-flare dress that was a little black number.

Lucy had made a suggestion a few months ago, one I finally took. She'd called a hair stylist she knew could help on short notice and Caden's jaw had dropped when he saw my new style — the result of following Lucy's words that having my hair curled with blond highlights will be perfection.

I'd decided on the different look for that event to make me feel better about myself. Caden had said it would make me stand out more than usual especially paired with my dress. I'd said it wouldn't since it wasn’t what I wanted but it was what I got at the end of the day.

We'd arrived fashionably late. All Caden's fault, but I was kind of glad we did. I hoped the hosts would be too busy for us at the moment and I was lucky. People stared, gaped and gawked but we weren't greeted by the hosts and I was more than okay with that.