Chapter forty-three

The minutes after a tumbler fell to the ground and broke from Adam's hand after he saw I and Caden together then stormed out of the house—were followed by heavy oppressive silence.

Lucca's jaw was slackened, Lucy's eyes wide, Andrea completely astounded and showing it by continuously looking from me to Caden and back, like she was trying to wrap her mind around it all. While, Kevin looked confused, kind of angry but mostly wary about something.

For the first time since I knew him, I saw Kevin serious. He exchanged a meaningful glance with Lucca, who caught it and began glaring at Caden who looked back at him with a blank look. Caden locked eyes with Kevin next and Kevin seemed to be asking a question with his eyes, Caden didn't reply to it though.

“Are you sure?” Kevin inquired.

Caden nodded but Lucca still looked livid and murderous. He turned his eyes to me and looked a little hurt and like I betrayed him somehow. I suspected it was because he guessed like everyone else sitted in his house that Caden and I had been together for a while now.

“Damn!” Kevin frowned, looking tired. I saw him glance at the door then say. “Caden, no offence but I can't believe you did this.”

Caden stiffened and Kevin avoided my eyes as he said, “I have to go see Adam now.”

I swallowed at his words and the meaning they held. The meaning I never believed but the look in Adam's eyes and his attitude proved otherwise. Kevin's attitude too stung because he obviously thought Caden betrayed Adam because Caden had suspected his feelings too and carried on with me.

Kevin left and we all sat in silence again. I hadn't expected this to go this bad.

“Can I speak to you in private?” Lucca clipped at Caden.

They both left the room too. I played with my fingers in my lap and my gaze was fixed there.

“Wow! I didn't see that one coming.” Lucy said and I looked at her to see a small smile.

Andrea nodded to herself, looking like she was confirming something in her mind. “I didn't too but surprisingly, I don't feel anything bad about it.”

Andrea smiled with surprise. “I don't feel anger or hurt that Erica didn't tell me.” I gave her a small smile that she returned. “But that doesn't mean I won't feel it when the surprise fades. Right now though, I think we should leave. The air is tense and the party mood is dead.”

The three of us nodded and Lucy hugged me and lingered as she whispered in my ear. “Lucca isn't angry with you and I know this is why you didn't tell us so we won't judge you. And I'm sorry we lived up to your expectations. I will try to be a better friend though, we will all try, once we all take time to absorb the idea.”

The ride home with Andrea wasn't tense but neither was it pleasant. Andrea seemed to be thinking hard on something. As we got to the house and I tried to get out of the car, she stopped me.

“Wait!” I froze and turned to her. I was wary about this conversation but I knew we had to have it. Better now than later, I just hope there are no fights.

“I'm sorry,” She began and I became confused because I had no idea what she had to be sorry about.

“You both have obviously being together for sometime and though I don't know the story behind it or know Caden well, I know I've offended both of you.”

Uh?

“I now understand your irritation at the teasing about you and Adam. I feel bad because he would have been encouraged and led on by that, when to you he was nothing but a friend while Caden would have been disgusted by it but never able to tell his brother. And now he would be the bad person. When I'm the bad person.”